Turneffe Flats Resort Review (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Aldo. I see that you are associated with Hugh Parkey's, and I've seen your t-shirts! Do you have anything to add to the discussion regarding dive sites?

My bud sent the photos he took of a dive map that was on-board.

Attachments

• IMG_7195.jpg
    IMG_7195.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7196.jpg
    IMG_7196.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7197.jpg
    IMG_7197.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7199.jpg
    IMG_7199.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7200.jpg
    IMG_7200.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7201.jpg
    IMG_7201.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7202.jpg
    IMG_7202.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7203.jpg
    IMG_7203.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7204.jpg
    IMG_7204.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7205.jpg
    IMG_7205.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7206.jpg
    IMG_7206.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 63
I've asked my buddy to post a counterpoint of my review here. I know he's a busy guy, but I hope he will oblige.

I have worked at both TIR (although it was TIL when i worked there) and TF, it does not sound as though you dived the Elbow, this would be done as drift dive as typically there is current , which in turn attracts the schooling fish and palagics. Depending on strenth of current we would drop in at Leftys ledge or Gorgonion Bluff and drift down to the elbow and then off into the blue, when the dive is good it is really good.As far as the Syonara, it was an old supply boat of the lodge that was sunk back in the 80's.I am sure that there is very little structure left now as it was a wooden hull, however if you go west of the boat there are some fantastic coral heads and swim through arch, i have done many night dives there and once away from the wooden hull have had some enjoyable ones, although i find night dives very hit or miss.
I enjoyed your review and would just add that Craig and Karen have built a tremendous resort and put in a lot of hard work to get it to where it is, they have been a constant factor in TF since its conception, which cannot be said for many other places.
The fishermen did sound obnoxious though!

Thanks Aldo. I see that you are associated with Hugh Parkey's, and I've seen your t-shirts! Do you have anything to add to the discussion regarding dive sites?

Nice map, as you can notice my name is on the right side of that dive map. I drew that out for Karen at TF and she laminated it to keep at the shop. I also designed their dive shirt. SPBDC has made a valid point to add to your discussion on the dive sites at south Turneffe. Of all the times I've done Sayonara the most I time I've spent around the "wreck" is about 15 minutes, just passing over it. Another point to note is that Hugh Parkey named many of the dive sites around Turneffe in the early days when he managed TIL (now TIR) and later TF.

My bud sent the photos he took of a dive map that was on-board.

Are most, or all of these sites marked my moorings?

The syonara has a mooring, i do not know about the east side maybe they have been put down over the years. As hpbelize said the dive sites were named by Hugh and i learned them by visual reference.I have no doubt that some of the names have been altered also.

It seems as if only the live-aboards maintain moorings at TA replacing them at least once a year. We try maintaining some on the NW side and at the Barrier Reef near our lodge. It's a constant battle against the elements and fishermen. There are some at the snorkel sites at South Gallows Point as well.

Fishermen? Do they cut the moorings?

Craig and Karen have built a tremendous resort and put in a lot of hard work to get it to where it is
Oh, without a doubt! When we were there, a guy was visiting the resort for a day or two. This guy is building his own resort and was at TF getting ideas on everything from power to water recycling. We were asking him questions at dinner and quickly recognized what an enormous undertaking building a resort is. :confused:

Some of our dive sites had moorings, others were found by landmark.

We did nothing more than a swim-over at Syonara. Some of the wood structure is still there, and a lot of the boat's inner-workings have survived. I didn't take photos, but maybe my bud did.

Nice job on the map Aldo. I was thinking that someone really put a lot of work into making the map, and felt bad that it had been folded up on the boat. It should have been framed and placed up on a wall (out of the elements).

Back
Top Bottom