Turneffe Island Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TremayneJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I spent last week at TIR and were exceptionally pleased with the place and the diving on offer. Especially so, considering the battering hurricane Richard gave the place.

Getting there is easy enough and they will collect you from either of the Belize City airports. It's then a boat ride to the Island - perhaps 1hr 3/4. Something like that.

The island itself isn't huge but has some lovely beach front and is big enough for a five minute stroll. All very picturesque - palm trees, lovely white sand and blue sea.

Our Cabana was great - actually much nicer in the flesh than any photo could do justice to. I saw their pics and thought they looked a little dated but they are actually really nice. Didn't need the air-con overnight but it was there to take the heat down a little when we needed.

Food was a genuine highlight. No real choices - you get what you are given and it was a winner every time. You eat with the other guests - (all meals are at the same time) and it's a really nice way to get to know who else is on the island with you. Everyone I spoke with was in agreement about the food - superb. A nice mix of other guests from full on divers, snorkelers to fisherman - catch and release :eek:)

The diving was incredibly easy with boat rides sometimes as little as two or three minutes! Given the hurricane the previous week - I think some allowance would need to be made to the viz and the condition of some of the tube sponges and coral etc. I'd say viz was medium to good on most dives but nothing amazing. Damage was certainly evident with broken tube sponges and broken barrel sponges also. Nothing horrendous and just 'here and there' rather than devastation.

Marine Life Highlights
Eagle Rays on many of the dives, same for large stingrays. Couple of nurse sharks. One large blacktip reef shark. Lots green moray. Lots white spotted toadfish. Really big shoal spadefish, huge shoals horse eyed snapper, lots decent sized permit. Always lots grouper - mostly Nassau, some Goliath also. Dolphins showed up on three consecutive dives, which was pretty amazing thing to happen. Pod (15) of spotted dolphins on two occasions - the next day was a pair of much larger bottlenosed. The spotted were mostly having fun with each other and chasing after the boat above us - the bottlenosed showed up underneath us while we were at about twenty metres and were really interested in us. Fantastic dives!

All in all - well worth the trip, worth the money and run and staffed by some really decent people. Had hoped for more reef sharks but wasn't at all disappointed.

TJ

Attachments

• Belize201008.jpg
    Belize201008.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Belize201007.jpg
    Belize201007.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Belize201006.jpg
    Belize201006.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Belize201005.jpg
    Belize201005.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 249
Nice! I have almost the identical pictures from our trip there last year. I was lucky enough to get some video of the dolphins as well. The cabanas are very nice - the coffee on the porch in the morning was a very nice touch.

Great report. My wife and I've now been there twice and will likely go there again in another year or so.

Regarding the coffe service, I'm an early morning person so I would always go to the Lodge and have my coffee there while hanging out on the deck to watch the sunrise out over the ocean.

Fantastic place. Glad you had the same experience.

Christian,

Yes and yes! The week previous to TIR we had spent chilling out in Placencia. A very nice place but perhaps too far from the barrier reef to be of huge interest outside of whale shark season (ie snapper mating). We knew we would be diving ourselves silly during the following week so we didn't do much but we did book a trip with Seahorse to Glovers Reef. Perhaps 1hr 3/4 in a very fast boat. Nice bunch of people - very friendly and laid back etc. Had a nice couple dives, eagle rays, turtles, rays, plus all the usual grunts, snapper, grouper etc.

In terms of comparison - I wouldn't place Glovers reef any higher or lower than Turneffe Atoll. It felt very similar. Technically, the wall dive seemed a little steeper - as some of the Turneffe 'Wall Dives' could almost be classed as very steep slopes! (this is being very critical - but just trying to draw a difference!).

The third Atoll is Lighthouse, which we also visited (as part of the Turneffe package) and that seemed in the best condition of all - with most fish, best visibility etc. Certainly somewhere worth going to. I think the liveaboards (Peter Hughes and Aggressor) spend a fair bit of time there - understandably so.

It's difficult for me to truly rate Lighthouse against Turneffe when I did so much diving at one and so little at the other. Suffice to say my impression of Lighthouse was very favourable. Glover I'd put on a par with Turneffe.

TJ

I often think it has to do with physical location. Lighthouse is further from land than the other two atolls, and to my mind has the best diving. It's a pity so many visitors are fixated on the idea of diving the Blue Hole, to me a rather over-rated dive, when there are such superb wall dives around the edge of the atoll. How many people here have ever dived the southern tip of Lighthouse, for example?

Thanks for the report and pictures, Tremayne. Your experience and assessment of the resort and the atolls matches my own, for the most part (though I've only done a day of diving on Glovers).

Thanks for the update. My wife and I'll bring our daughters (5 & 8) as well, so a live aboard isn't suitable. I did have Lighthouse atoll in mind, not that I know very much about it or any other diving in the Caribbean for that matter, it's just one of the few places I've heard of in that part of the world.

So the only place available on Lighthouse seem to be Hurracan (?) Divers, since the Lighthouse Reef Resort apparently never reopened after closing...

cheers

Turneffe was a fantastic adventure. My wife and I enjoyed the accomodations, food and the diving. We might go back for the overall experience. The diving is very good, just not as good as Lighthouse. The Blue Hole was nice to do once, but the diving around Half Moon Caye was excellent Caribbean diving. Wish there was a land based place to dive from in the area.

Turneffe was a fantastic adventure. My wife and I enjoyed the accomodations, food and the diving. We might go back for the overall experience. The diving is very good, just not as good as Lighthouse. The Blue Hole was nice to do once, but the diving around Half Moon Caye was excellent Caribbean diving. Wish there was a land based place to dive from in the area.

You should check out huracandiving.com. They have a very nice small resort on Long Caye at Lighthouse. I have dived with them and they run a very good operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom