Trip Report Turquoise Bay Resort, I'm here now and really liking it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We arrived Saturday and finished day two of our 3 dive days. This is my second time to Roatan and first here. The first was at Mayan Princess in West Bay. These two are sister resorts but there is no way to tell that. Mayan Princess is a beach resort that offers diving, this is a dive resort and a good one. The location feels very remote and is lovely. This part of the island is very hilly and lush. There is a herd of horses and a donkey that have free range across the property. The donkey is named Molly and she is very sweet. You can ride horses if you wish. Some of the folks in our group did today and suggested long pants and bug spray but said it was fun. The staff is very attentive and many introduce themselves and always call you by your name when they see you. It's a nice touch. The food has been fine but I have gone light on it as my tummy is a bit off kilter at the moment. I will spare you the details!

The beach is huge and quite nice and protected. They are building some really sweet cabanas over the water. Not my scene but would be great for a non-diving SO. Of course there are sand fleas which seems to be case island wide.

The house dive shop is Subway and they are really solid. Good safety protocols, well organized locker area and good guides. The boat our group is supposed to be using needed some transmission work so we have been split onto two smaller boats. They are a little tight but very workable. We think we are getting our boat tomorrow. The sites we are doing are close by which means they are far from other operations and are not dived very hard. I have not seen a boat from a different operator all week. They are doing a lot of work on improving the reef with Elkhorn Coral restoration. They also offer the local fishermen who are caught illegally spear fishing in the park the option to avoid a fine and jail an internship to become divemasters. I think it is a great idea.

The sites are typical for what I have seen in Roatan. Interesting topography, lots of soft corals, plenty of hard coral and not a ton of fish. That is why they are pursuing the effort previously mentioned. You will see all of the usual stuff, just not necessarily in the abundance of other locations. They are really trying to increase the parrot fish population as they are such important reef cleaners. The one species that is abundant are Black Durgon which is great as they are so pretty. We see tons of those every dive and I of course have yet to get a decent picture of one. I think they are the hardest species to actually get a great shot of.

Sites done so far: Sponges for check out dive, White Hole, Labyrinth, Fish Spot, Sea Star Wall and Underground. Clear winners so far are Labyrinth and Underground.

I will try to add more to this as the week goes along and will have photos and video after I return to high speed internet.

Why only "3 dive days"?

What else will your group be doing?

(Say hi to DM Osman for me!)

Why only "3 dive days"?

What else will your group be doing?

(Say hi to DM Osman for me!)
I should have been clearer, we are diving 3 times a day all week. Will do.

Reactions: Doc
Enjoy. Sounds very much like my experience. Underground was a very nice dive. On one day where a bunch of our divers were either doing the shark dive or the dolphin experience we dove sea star channel as a small group. I highly recommend it if you can get them to do it for you. I really love those channel dives for all the variety.

So far today it was Rock Star and Milton's Wall. Rock Star is a rock star. Fish life more like Bonaire and Cozumel and great topography. They told us it was an off day there but would not have noticed. Milton's was very nice but is more east and near the fishing village so less fish. If they can get the illegal fishing under control here (we see boats doing it every day) they will really have an incredible destination.

Heading out for a night dive in a bit. I think we are going to do Labyrinth. It is pretty rough outside the reef now so we are not going far.

Rock star and the wreck were my favorites. We did a Lionfish hunt that included a trip to a small island that was great as well. The Subway boats were by far the nicest dive boats I have been on. I believe our DMs were Junior and Enoch, both were outstanding. Dive Rockstar for me, and drink a Salva Vida and 10 Monkey LaLa's too.

Jay

We did the outer part of Underground tonight for the night dive. The other boat from the resort did the inner portion by the coral restoration trees. It was not to rough for them, very rough for us but doable. Lots of lobsters but no octopus. We did get strings of pearls once everyone had their lights off along with an incredible amount of bioluminescence (I give up on spelling it correctly) from the rough water. Tomorrow we are heading west to do the wreck off of AKR, then Texas, lunch at Mayan Princess then Overheat for turtles on the way home. It is an all day trip. We have the big boat back so our group will finally be on one vessel.

Reactions: Doc
Rock star and the wreck were my favorites. We did a Lionfish hunt that included a trip to a small island that was great as well. The Subway boats were by far the nicest dive boats I have been on. I believe our DMs were Junior and Enoch, both were outstanding. Dive Rockstar for me, and drink a Salva Vida and 10 Monkey LaLa's too.

Jay
Outside of a liveaboard crew Subway is the best operation I have dived with. Great folks and attitudes. Very safety conscious, even on a tough dive like we had tonight.

Lots of lobsters but no octopus

We did two night dives there. The first was in the channel and no lobster for us. The second was at White Hole, which is a better night dive than day dive and we found two octopus, as well as tons of crabs, toadfish, etc. If you want to a do a second night dive, I recommend that site.

Yesterday we did the wreck but not Texas as the currents were bad. We did a site in West Bay that I don't recall the name of but was very chill and nice. We did Overheat last and of course had lots of turtles along with crazy current. This morning we did part of Underground as a lot of the crew had to be back in early to get to the shark dive. I did not partake in that as have been with many sharks but not many empty dive boats. It was a bit different in that the dive we did was just the DM and I looking for the remains of a fisherman that went missing yesterday. The dive was somber yet through beautiful canyons. We didn't find him but are hoping for a miracle that he is ok. The afternoon dive was just my daughter and I along with the DM doing Starfish Canyon looking for eagle rays. The eagle rays didn't show up but a huge southern ray did along with lots of lobsters and other folks. Very chill dive.

This evening we had a drum and dance group from Punta Gorda perform for us after dinner. They were very good. Tomorrow is the last dive day as we will do two in the morning and then I will begin editing the video for the evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom