Two divers die at Wazee Lake, WI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Very little info given. Two dead and one injured is a horrible accident whatever happened...

Two men dead after scuba diving accident in Wazee Lake Recreation Area
The Jackson County Sheriff's Department says two men are dead after a scuba diving accident at the Wazee Lake Recreation Area near Black River Falls Saturday afternoon.

The sheriff's department says they arrived at the recreational area just after noon Saturday to find a 57-year-old male being given CPR by two fellow divers.

Deputies say one diver, a 60-year-old male was also in need of medical treatment, a third 53-year-old male diver was also treated at the scene.

All three men were taken to Black River Memorial Hospital where the 57-year-old was pronounced dead.

Deputies say the other two patients were airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center where the 60-year-old male died just before 8:00 Saturday evening. The 53-year-old is still being treated at the Hennepin County Medical Center

The official cause of death of the two men is pending autopsy results.

The Jackson County Sheriffs Department is still investigating the incident.

The sheriffs department says the Wazee Lake Recreation Area is a popular scuba diving destination that is used by many divers in the Midwest area. The lake has depths of approximately 350 feet with very clear water for diving enthusiasts.

The local news provided a bit more info about the accident. Sounds like the divers were attempting to go down to 200 ft, but something went wrong and they made an emergency ascent. Also the news is reporting these divers had a similar accident 2 years ago.

2 Minn. Divers Die After Wis. Scuba Accident | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

Feeling a bit anxious since our local dive shop was scheduled to take a group to Lake Wazee on Saturday. Very sad situation.

The article seems to lead us to the possibility that there was an accident due to depth or the dive went wrong. I wonder, though, since two people died and one was also injured, if bad air could be a possibility...?

The article seems to lead us to the possibility that there was an accident due to depth or the dive went wrong. I wonder, though, since two people died and one was also injured, if bad air could be a possibility...?

No possibility can be discounted. There has been a history of deep dive difficulties causing chain reactions leading to multiple victims so more information needs to become available before possible cause can be identified.

Hopefully the 3rd diver is able to help inform and memorialize the loss with some lessons for all.

Pete

One way or another it seems a lack of training and experience will likely be a major contributing factor. The LDS owner was quite candid in this regard. That's a terrible loss to the local community. So sad...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of inappropriate posts, posts quoting them and off topic stuff has been removed. Please reread the special rules for this forum before posting in this thread again.

This is local to me and the report is that 2 divers were at 200' while the surviving diver was at 140'. Also that they skipped (or shortened) the safety stops in order to bring the heart attack victim to the surface faster only to fall ill themselves after the failed rescue.

Source (sorry I have less than 5 posts so add the http)
http://www.startribune.com/local/south/98201404.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUqEiaDUiD3aPc:_Yyc+:aUU

A very serious question I must ask....

What is the proper procedure for what I guess I would call "under water CPR" while you make your safety stops. I assume that you would want to give the person rescue breaths somehow? Is there concern an unconscious person wouldn't release air from their lungs as they go up? I never dive that deep but I imagine it would be a 5+ minute surfacing routine and that *something* should be done bringing someone to the surface.

Thanks for the tips. All the best to the surviving diver and families.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW< I did find this link which browsing has a lot of good info regarding how to come up, but not much about what to with the victim and breathing except for making sure the regulator is in their mouth.

scubaboard.com/forums/index.php/t-119944.html[/url]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom