Two divers plead guilty in Key West casita case...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess there will be a shortage in lobster, oh wait there is more commercial divers, and yes tom most all are crooks in the seafood business that is why I go get my own, If there were no seasons closed I would not have to freeze any and have all fresh.

As People commented in the Citizen, this all too prevalent among the native conchs. They see it as a birthright. I was married to one. The in laws like to rub my nose in when I object, but at least they won't do it, nor take shorts, nor other wise poach when I'm around.

There is an underground market for shorts,conch, jewfish etc that the locals frequent.

There is an underground market for shorts,conch, jewfish etc that the locals frequent.

It's not too hidden for a Black Market. All you have to do is hang around Stock Island with your ears open.

Ding, ding ding

The real issue is that there is nothing wrong with casitas. They provide habitat, protection from predators, and an easy place to catch bugs. The issue is that if casitas were allowed, trappers would all be put out of business overnight. The TAC would be caught in short order, and the season would be about 2 months instead of 7 months. It would put "poor hard-working fishermen" on welfare.

I think the issue is Casitas used by local non authorized poachers who dump them on the deck then in bags when FWC shows up.

As opposed to authorized poachers? :D You are right. The real issue is poaching. If casitas are good, we need to change the laws, not take it into our own hands.

As People commented in the Citizen, this all too prevalent among the native conchs. They see it as a birthright.

There is an underground market for shorts,conch, Jewfish etc that the locals frequent.

I can categorically affirm that Splitlip.
I have seen the pirate mentality down there firsthand.

My wife and I used to spend a great deal of time in Key Largo and the Big Pine area.
She has family there.

Not all, but entirely too many of the "Keys Locals", like to complain and complain about everything "the mainland" does to them down there.
They are like the whacko sagebrush rebellion crowd in the western US.
The funny thing is, the keys would dry up and blow away without the support of the mainland in tourism, cheap water from Homestead, and offering them a place to dump their trash.
It drives me nuts when they complain about pollution especially.
The percentage of the septic tanks leaking their offal into the water down there is staggering!!

Chug
Clean up your own house before you insult me about the cleanliness of yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom