Two Divers Rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations to you too then! Last I heard you were a DM/OUPV. I'm sure you must be very proud, its a tough course. Where did you do your IDC?

Jim is a great guy. I'm finishing up my tech class with him. I'm doing my final trimix dives next week.

First, hats off to all Captains and crew involved. IDK if this is the case in this instance, but the cost to the rescuer in time and resources is often overlooked or taken for granted, even by the rescued. It's a given to respond to those in need and often at cost to the responder. When the cost is significant, it has to leave a sour taste with the rescuer as they're usually not offered more than a hearty 'thank you'.

Second, thanks for the useful posts - I've been tempted to leave the boat unattended 'just this once' in near perfect conditions. An occasional instance of what can happen is helpful reminder.

Their air supply situation, if true, is pretty scary. A compound of bad decisions there. How far away from shore are we talking? Swimmable?

about .8 to 1 mile offshore- north current and west winds- they would have eventually made it in on their own i presume as long as panic did not set in. i dont think anyone involved in the rescues is looking for renumeration or even a thanks(would be nice though:D) . i would just hope someone would put forth the effort we did if they see someone in need.

about .8 to 1 mile offshore- north current and west winds- they would have eventually made it in on their own i presume as long as panic did not set in. i dont think anyone involved in the rescues is looking for renumeration or even a thanks(would be nice though:D) . i would just hope someone would put forth the effort we did if they see someone in need.

Of course.
Strictly off topic as it doesn't apply here, but if I had my bacon pulled from the fire, especially for a stupid decision I made, I'd like to think I'd take responsibility for it.

Just a pet peeve. In this case there wasn't probably much cause anyway. I've towed some in, and been towed - engines break down. People should always ask though, at least a few $ for gas and inconvenience (the only time anyone acceoted from me was to buy them a beer at the marina). In other cases when you've cost someone a half day's pay, I'd think you'd feel obligated to do what you could...

points to ponder- storms can come up quick around here and if one is going to dive with an unattended boat which I DO NOT RECOMMEND OR CONDONE(disclaimer) it would probably be best to stack the deck in their favor.
1. if you think your anchor is big enough- its not -get the next size larger
2. if you do not have at least the length of your boat in chain directly attached to the anchor -get it.
3. make sure your anchor line is larger that your boat requires and replace it yearly.(cheap insurance)
4. use a reel - attached to the anchor or preferably to the boat via a weighted drop line off the stern( redundancy is key here)
5. have a safety sausage(or two)
6 . have a surface signalling device- an air alert would not have done the first diver any good as he was out of air so the whistle is cheaper and more reliable.
7. file a float plan with friends and family
8.make sure everyone knows how to operate the boat and equipment onboard

Again, good job and that the guy just wanted to leave the boat where it was (much less the other details) is amazing.

If you don't mind I would like to suggest a possible number nine:

9. When possible go down the anchor line and make sure it is "set". If it is "iffy" then reset it yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom