Two missing on submerged Great Wall - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone here know the depth and temperature where they were diving?
Planned depth ~ 50 meters (max ~ 80 meters in that reservoir)
bottom temperature ~ 5 °C
visibility could be as low as 2~3 meters

Planned depth ~ 50 meters (max ~ 80 meters in that reservoir)
bottom temperature ~ 5 °C
visibility could be as low as 2~3 meters
Teams searching open water with DPV/Scooters in visibility as low as 2~3m with fishing net entanglement hazards all around (and reading about overheads like Guard Towers, passageways and rooms within the Great Wall itself at deep depth buried in nearly 5 meters of silt): slow & steady as she goes. . . wow. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Another update from GUE China on search operation of Sep 9th and 10th.

Summary:

Sep 9:
Effort devoted to remove fishing nets by 20 people including Blue Sky Rescue, GUE Divers, and local fisherman, exclude the possibility of fishing nets entanglement after examining condition of the nets

2 groups of CCR divers succeed in marking the south gate and second floor of the dive sites with floats, allowing surface search team to use them as reference points. Underwater condition was also re-examined and it was confirmed that majority of the fishing nets had been removed

Due to the depth of dive site, recreational divers are ineligible to conduct underwater search and have retreated, with a small groups of remaining rescue team members staying behind and conduct surface search from the day onward

Sep 10:
Sonar were utilised and excluded some suspicious locations, open circuit and CCR divers were organised to conduct underwater search

Noted that breach-holding divers are also onboard sonar installed vessels and removed the sonar from entanglement once on that day (for me it sounds weird)

Future planning:

1. extra rescue personnel, from "9958 team" have arrived dive site to provide surface support
2. local voluntary (with government approval and support) "Zhili Rescue" has arrived and provide technical support including live streaming deep sea cameras
3. Domestic divers with tech deep and cold water training, especially CCR endorsed, are invited to the area, in order to lower the number of dives per day for existing divers
4. when more sonar systems are sent to the area, they will start searching downstream area of the dive site

FAQ
1. Would it be possible that they have exit water by themselves?
Probably would have known by now, also due to the gears they have wearing would have been found if abandoned near shore

2. Would it be better to hire commercial diving professionals?
They are advised the varying depth of the dive site, low visibility and immobility of commercial divers with full equipment on less efficient than recreation technical divers who use Trimix CCR systems and dive with DPVs in searching for missing divers over a large area

3. What organisatons have contrivuted to the search operation
I am not interested in translating these paragraphs, but a screenshots is provided

upload_2017-9-13_3-20-34.png

upload_2017-9-13_3-20-43.png

upload_2017-9-13_3-21-4.png

upload_2017-9-13_3-21-11.png

upload_2017-9-13_3-21-18.png

upload_2017-9-13_3-21-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-13_3-21-34.png
    upload_2017-9-13_3-21-34.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 169
Scuba Divers missing while exploring the Underwater Great Wall of China
Xu is the first GUE certified Cave 2 scuba diver in the country, while Sun is a recreational scuba diving instructor and a certified GUE technical diver. GUE China has been updating the searching progress public through it’s social media platform on Wechat. It is indicated that Xu was part of the surface support team, because of suffering from a cold, for two days before went missing.
The divers are also affiliated with UNSCUBA Diving Club in Shanghai, who has the two only GUE instructor in the country.
Some background information here is not accurate, such as Xu being the first GUE Cave 2 diver in China.
But that's not important now anyway.

Pretty lousy written chinese!
A slightly better translation than google:
3. Will attempt to remove the fishing traps/nets which were laid across........
I think their public notices have flawed sentences too, but try to keep it to myself,
since those Chinese articles are written by part-time volunteer, whose top priority is coordinating on site searching for the missing divers.

Why would a surface support diver who had been laid low with cold became an exploring diver?
Xu was not a surface support diver supposed-to-be, but one of most experienced exploring divers there, who was doing surface support work before recovering from a cold.

1. What difference does it make to the search and recovery?
2. None of these two are GUE tec instructor.
IMO, it won't make any difference to the search and recovery, they were diving in another team, and devoted themselves to the searching from the very beginning of this unfortunate accident.
IMO, it won't make any difference to the search and recovery that they are GUE Tech instructors or not, they are the divers very familiar with the deep, cold, low-visibility environment there.

Last edited:
Great Wall Dive - Beijing PRC
# 16.
Search is being called off after 4 days.
This is BS right?
A simple answer to your BS question: it is NOT true.

To whom it may concern,
GUE China hasn't announced their rencent searching progress yet.
I could understand that myself, searching missing friends with great sadness is not something you want to hold a press conference every day before final success.
But today there is a public notice released by Laurel Technologies (in Chinese), a voluntary party providing technical support, are mapping the underwater area thoroughly with newly arrived advanced sonar system, and other helps are on the way.

Added Sep 13 local evening:
Here comes GUE China's Updates Sep 11-13 (in Chinese)
Still searching, every day...

Last edited:
does anyone know how much bailout they had?
I would suggest you be patient and wait for the full accident report, or you could find somebody close to GUE China and willing to ask this question now.

Last edited:
I would suggest you be patient and wait for the full accident report, or you could find somebody close to GUE China and willing to ask this question now.
There is almost NEVER a "full accident report".

Just look through this forum. I challenge your to find me 10 "accident reports" given the hundreds of diving fatalities that are posted on Scubaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom