Two missing on submerged Great Wall - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's now speculated electrofishing by local fishermen caused this fatal accident.

Wow! That would be sad if it's true, getting electrocuted while diving. Condolences to their family & friends.

Remind me of dynamite fishing in Indonesia.

Rescue diver found a large number of dead fish in the bottom, which suggests the use of electrofishing. Also, one of diver's SMB with her signature was found in a fisherman's yard. But this theory remains to be speculation. Official report is expected to be released by GUE China.

Laws in china are more of guidelines than anything else.
Well, frankly, i think most of laws in china are not only just like a "guideline", this accident can only suggests that electrofishing need to be enforced or need be supervised.
In fact , according to the article 30 and 38 of Fishery laws of PROC, electrofishing is illegal and may have serious consenquence. obviously, in this case, those people who use elctrofishing alredy consitutied a crime , and their criminal responsibility shall be investigated according to law . i mean criminal law of PROC.
this accident might lift the awareness of public on against electrofishing or illegal fishing ,however, this is not helpful for invesitgate the accident.

If it was electro fishing, bet the fisherman thought SMB was a trap marker and thought a baited trap would have fish around it...so.
Years ago in Cyprus had a fisherman drop Dynamite in fishing near us..scary as heck.by near it was about 400 meters away

wow== that is scary.... and if that is true. i thought that is so pathetic. SMB suppose to be a tool protect diver rather than to be a weapon for murder.. And i thought find the DC of missing diver is required. :(

The other missing diver has been located by ROV's imaging system at 63.2m depth, 10:45 (GMT+8) on Sep 18, 2017.
This is from a short push notification by GUE-China's social media platform on WeChat also, no WWW link yet.

It is suggested by some GUE-China members that, do not make a conclution now without enough evidence. Let's wait for the body recovery, autopsy, dive computer logs etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom