Two months after 1st SmartCom fails, replacement fails ...in 2 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tennessee Slim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My original Uwatec SmartCom failed in late January after five months of use (thread here). The LDS sent it to Scubapro and they replaced it a brand-new unit and it only cost me $85USD, shipping and customs fees combined.

The new unit failed today, the second time it’s been in the water. The display is reading Error E7 and locked.

The only bright side to this is that I’ve kept my antique mechanical SPG, and I’d just bought a Suunto Vyper II as a “backup” in the event my Uwatec crapped out again.

It seems I now know the answer to the question/title I posed on the original thread. I plan calling Scubapro and asking if they’ll buy it back. I want nothing else Uwatec.

yeah me too. i was on a liveaboard last year when mine started acting up. i said to hell with it and got a D9 (there are some posts on this board that say it has had problems too). the shop i buy from has had tons of problems with them. step away from the smart com!! i repeat step away from the smartcom.

I have met two other divers who have had similar problems with the Smart Com. My Smart TEC has given me no problems for almost two years, Knock on wood!

I was mistooken. The error isn’t E7, it’s E8 (photo below). Not that it matters.

rfaileduwatechl4.jpg

I would work out something with your dive shop to take back the broken and credit you for it. I had some earlier versions of their AirPro??? I really liked it but when the pressure transducer blew for the second time I asked for a new one as they had been sending me refurbished replacements. I sold the replacement.

I would work out something with your dive shop to take back the broken and credit you for it. I had some earlier versions of their AirPro??? I really liked it but when the pressure transducer blew for the second time I asked for a new one as they had been sending me refurbished replacements. I sold the replacement.
That might be an option if I were living in the country where I bought it. The only Scubapro dealer on the island doesn't sell Uwatec.

That might be an option if I were living in the country where I bought it. The only Scubapro dealer on the island doesn't sell Uwatec.

At one point I had a Smart Com that suffered a similar fate. At the time I switched to a Smart Pro (no longer available wrist mounted unit) and now I have a TEC 2G. If you purchased it from an authorized dealer, you should call Scubapro USA and see if they are willing to trade you for something that works.

If you already have a Vyper, it seems they have already lost you as a customer, perhaps mention that and see if it gets you any farther.

I have 2 Smart Coms, one with 759 dives, and the other with 426 dives. The first one has been repowered, no problems. I also have a Tec 2G with at least 579 dives... (it's on the boat and I haven't downloaded it recently) that a replaced an Aladin Tec which went screwy (they all did) and so far am thrilled with the Tec 2G.

I have about 100 dives on my roughly year old Smart Com. Probably 40 salt dives. No troubles so far...

Back
Top Bottom