Two Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluntly, like San San Gervasio in Cozumel, Tuluum is just a pile of rocks compared to Chichen Itza—even if it is on a beautiful beach (that you can't really use. To see both Tuluum and Coba takes as much or more energy and time than going for the REAL thing. IMO. In addition, if you can spend one night at the Mayaland Hotel that makes it a true world class experience.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bluntly, like San San Gervasio in Cozumel, Tuluum is just a pile of rocks compared to Chichen Itza—even if it is on a beautiful beach (that you can't really use. To see both Tuluum and Coba takes as much or more energy and time than going for the REAL thing. IMO. In addition, if you can spend one night at the Mayaland Hotel that makes it a true world class experience.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Someone interested in the ruins should see them all. It's been years since my trip to Tulum and Coba but I enjoyed them thoroughly; the pyramid at Coba is taller than the one at Chichen-Itza, and (at least when I went), you could still climb to the top of it. I have been to Chichen-Itza and San Gervasio as well. Granted, San Gervasio was the least impressive of the four and Chichen-Itza was the most (IMO), but one reason for that is that Chichen-Itza is the most restored and tourist-ized ruin site in the area.

Someone interested in the ruins should see them all. It's been years since my trip to Tulum and Coba but I enjoyed them thoroughly; the pyramid at Coba is taller than the one at Chichen-Itza, and (at least when I went), you could still climb to the top of it. I have been to Chichen-Itza and San Gervasio as well. Granted, San Gervasio was the least impressive of the four and Chichen-Itza was the most (IMO), but one reason for that is that Chichen-Itza is the most restored and tourist-ized ruin site in the area.

Dear Gordon,

I agree it would be nice to see all of them but very few people, especially those who come to dive can devote that much time away from the reefs. My main point is that if you can only see one—don't miss Chichen-Itza.

But the large pyramid is not the only thing, there is the sacred cenote where they sacrificed virgins, the ball fields where they ate the winners, the tables for skulls, the observatory. There is MUCH more to Chichen-Itza than just the Pyramid.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Gordon,

I agree it would be nice to see all of them but very few people, especially those who come to dive can devote that much time away from the reefs. My main point is that if you can only see one—don't miss Chichen-Itza.

But the large pyramid is not the only thing, there is the sacred cenote where they sacrificed virgins, the ball fields where they ate the winners, the tables for skulls, the observatory. There is MUCH more to Chichen-Itza than just the Pyramid.

I know. I have been there, remember? I don't know what you are objecting to; interest in the ruins varies a lot among individuals from an almost compulsive drive to see them all to a complete disregard. Chichen-Itza is certainly impressive, but it is a lot longer trip from Cozumel than are Tulum and Coba. DSFDF. I liked Coba a lot, particularly because it isn't nearly as restored and touristified as Tulum and Chichen-Itza. At least it wasn't when I went 20 years ago; things change, of course.

Last edited:
Enjoying this topic and the different views.

During a 2 week trip to Cozumel I'm considering going to Tulum for 2 nights. Not just to see the ruins but ride a bike around town, down to the beach barhopping and swiming in a few cenotes.

Can anybody recommend a hotel in town preferably with a pool for around $50 a night. Any other advise on the area bars, restaurants and favorite sights to see or peaceful cenotes would be appreciated.

Thanks

During a 2 week trip to Cozumel I'm considering going to Tulum for 2 nights. Not just to see the ruins but ride a bike around town, down to the beach barhopping and swiming in a few cenotes.

Can anybody recommend a hotel in town preferably with a pool for around $50 a night. Any other advise on the area bars, restaurants and favorite sights to see or peaceful cenotes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last time I checked the decent hotels in Tuluum were priced out of sight…$2-300 per night. Puerto Adventuras is a much better choice.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for the tip on Puerto Adventuras.

Any hotel recommendations for that area? or close by Cenotes?

Thanks

Thanks

My wife & I stayed at Maison Tulum (Maisontulum |) on our way to Xcalak. Booked it through hotels.com for ~$80/night. A very nice small boutique type hotel, very clean, 2 blocks of the main drag. We will stay there again if we get to go back to Xcalak. No pool though. There's a great little bakery attached to the hotel, yum!

Thanks
@keepdivin as some have stated the hotels are really expensive in Tulum. The area is beautiful though here are some bars/restaurants you should not miss - lazebratulum , Taqueria La Eufemia , Mateos.

Hope you have a great time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom