Two Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vic K and Ithomas thanks for the info and recommendations.

It's only 2 nites and going solo not really looking for anything fancy just clean. When in Coz I'm fine with Suites Bahia type lodging. Just looking for a little sight seeing and a new place to explore on the mainland for a couple of days. I thought there might be a few divers or Coz regulars that like to do the same.

Thanks

In addition, if you can spend one night at the Mayaland Hotel that makes it a true world class experience.
We did that. Lovely, restored hotel with interesting history. Great food. We went in that night for the evening show and found it interesting, but the great advantage is that we could reenter thru the back gate early the next morning well before the tour buses arrive. The place is overrun with vendors selling things in the afternoon plus the hordes of bus people, but the vendors were taking their time setting up thru the morning - pretty much leaving us alone.

Then that afternoon, we had plenty of time to tour Ek Balam, which many argue is the best. It's certainly a nice one to visit. We did both that day, then got back to PDC in time to turn in our car and ferry to Cozumel in time for dinner.
Someone interested in the ruins should see them all.
Yep, Coba in the morning before the heat peaks, Tulum in the afternoon with the sea breezes. It might even be worth it to stay the night before at Coba and get in earlier. I hadn't riden a bicycle in decades, bur it came back to me before I wrecked.

Then head for the hotel at Chichen Itza that night to do those ruins and Ek Balam the next day. You'd be back tracking some on the road between Tulum & Coba to do it in my suggested order, but worth it as Coba gets so hot. Do rent bikes and see all of Coba tho. So many walk to the big pyramid and back and skip the other trail.

We stopped at the grocery in Tulum at the turn to Coba to stock up on bottled water, a cooler & ice, and such. I carried 2 quart vacuum bottles of cold water in my backpack while my bud just carried one - and ran short. Also spray early & well with Deet.

From PDC to Coba, back to Tulum, backtracking thru Coba to Chichen Itza, then on to Ek Balam, then back to PDC via the new hiway cut thru the jungle - 7 hours of driving over 2 days, but so much to see. WARNING: Driving from Chichen Itza to Piste to Ek Balam, do not miss the exit or you may have to go halfway to Cancun to turn around.

upload_2017-4-10_14-29-45.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Dandydon,

You have helped me in the past with discount codes for packages or hotel only bookings. Any current codes out there at this time?

Keepdivin

Thanks Dandydon,

You have helped me in the past with discount codes for packages or hotel only bookings. Any current codes out there at this time?

Keepdivin
There may be, but I am not aware of any. Depends on needs.

Group of 4 with youngest 27. They want to take the ferry to the mainland and visit Tulum. I don't want to give up a day of diving to take them.
Back to your original question, you can dive in the morning and still make a ferry & cab trip to Tulum ruins, returning in time for supper. It'd be a nice afternoon adventure. I'd suggest taking the day off from diving and doing Coba & Tulum with them, tho.

Of course, a 27 year old does not need you to go see mainland ruins, just some basic advice on traveling in Mexico, but it'd be a good outing for you all.

Any recommendations on where to stay ? It's been awhile since we dove Cozumel. We also want to stay a few days in Tulum. Thanks

Sorry guys I posted a few times on same subject.

Last edited:
Not sure if Im doing this right as I can't find my post. Im looking for a place to take the kids. Old Fiesta INN? Any advice would be appreciated.. Dive ops that are safety first as my sons not very experienced.

Any recommendations on where to stay ? It's been awhile since we dove Cozumel. We also want to stay a few days in Tulum. Thanks
WHEN?! Prices, deals, and specials vary with dates. I have simple tastes so I look for cheap deals at Suites Colonial near my favorite dive shop - which provides ground transportation to the marina, but preferences vary a lot.

As mentioned by others, Tulum properties have gone up a lot - but this fellow had a suggestion.
My wife & I stayed at Maison Tulum (Maisontulum |) on our way to Xcalak. Booked it through hotels.com for ~$80/night. A very nice small boutique type hotel, very clean, 2 blocks of the main drag. We will stay there again if we get to go back to Xcalak. No pool though. There's a great little bakery attached to the hotel, yum!
If I couldn't find what I wanted in Tulum, I'd find it cheaper nearby as commuting on that hiway is fast & easy. I do rent from Cancun car rental - Discover the Easy Way to rent a Car as they seem to have the best prices with full insurance and free drop if you want to leave it at a different office somewhere.

Hotels.com has some cheap deals in July for 3 star hotels in Tulum and Coz both tho.

Any suggestions on where to stay ? We loved the Fiesta Inn back in the day.
You'd really do well to start a new thread designed to attract help from those who have stayed there recently. I haven't stayed at Fiesta Inn or anywhere in Tulum. Something like "Anyone know of good deals at Fiesta Inn? How about similar hotels in Tulum?" AND GIVE DATES

Use my van guy, get the early ferry and go to Coba. The kids can climb the big pyramid. It is pretty cool. You can hire a guide and rent the bicycles to tour it. I really enjoyed it and if you go on the early ferry you beat the buses. Grab lunch. Then catch a ceynote for a swim on the way back. It was really cool. We did Tulum at the end, but everyone was tires and hot, so they didn't enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, Tulum is cool, but Coba is WAY cool. Got to see the Mayan bee and the Mayan road and all that too.

My wife & I stayed at Maison Tulum (Maisontulum |) on our way to Xcalak. Booked it through hotels.com for ~$80/night. A very nice small boutique type hotel, very clean, 2 blocks of the main drag. We will stay there again if we get to go back to Xcalak. No pool though. There's a great little bakery attached to the hotel, yum!
Ah, we went there twice for breakfast from the bakery/kitchen. I thought it looked like a nice spot. We were across the street and down a couple of blocks. If I were staying there again, I would go for a beachfront property. There's not a lot to do in town.

Back
Top Bottom