Two Scuba divers killed by a speedboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oregon has implemented a boater safety card over the past several years. The test can be taken online and no hands on training but it's a start. Don't know the stats on diver/boat accidents for Oregon but I dive as though I am invisible to any person on the surface. It doesn't matter who's at fault when a boat and diver make contact, the diver WILL lose every time.

I do like the rope tactic and a couple others mentioned already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
We never found the guy that night but I got a call from the folks I was doing the work for, who informed me that they tracked down his jetski, and he would have a hard time getting it to and from the boat ramp without wheels on the trailer.
That's against the law, but I love it.

The owner's lucky he only lost his wheels. It doesn't take too long to lose an entire axle or take apart an entire trailer. I'd love to see the guys face to find his entire trailer completely disassembled in a pile without any hardware to put it back together.

It may be against the law but I'll take the necessary measures to protect myself. Their threat determines my response.

My bark is often worse than my bite but I do come up with some sweet revenge tactics. :D

Hadn't noticed that anyone yet mentioned that my adopted "Live Free or Die" state had recently put a boating license requirement in place. I've casually scanned the PDF file on state's web site and think it discusses diving flags but doesn't make a big deal of it. I've heard many local divers complain that its the divers that are more likely to get a ticket IF you don't have a flag than the boater is for doing something stupid near a dive flag - like racing up to see what the flag is. They have tested enforcing a speed limit for big power boats on parts of Lake Winnepasaukee (a BIG lake) - but I don't think that's gone over well. In the meantime I guess its another one of those risks we do our best to avoid.

Is there any state requiring a boat driver- certification? like a car driver license?
Florida has just started a very slow phase in as I mentioned earlier here. Too many tourist dollars tied to easy boat sales and rentals.

Back
Top Bottom