Tylenol Cold and Sinus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of freedivers (including myself) use Mucinex from time to time. Get the blue package or bottle with expectorant only. Remember to start taking the pills at least 24 hours before the dive.

Of course, staying well hydrated and avoiding dairy products (which produce mucus) is also recommended. I also use a sinus rinse (NeilMed), especially during allergy season.

Well, in case anyone is interested in a follow up with the results of my dive weekend, I figured I'd let people know what I decided and the results. I definitely had some sinus congestion and had a lot of pressure in my head but, besides maybe the hour directly after I awoke each morning, my nasal passages were clear and I had no difficulties breathing so, I figured I'd give it a try, start easy and see what it felt like to decide if I wanted to continue. I decided not to use any medicine and, when I went down, I had no trouble equalizing whatsoever, no discomfort in my ears or sinuses while I was under, just maybe a mild to moderate headache after resurfacing. So, I continued the dive weekend and, I would say it was a success. Definitely more benefit that cost. However, I realize that the success of this dive trip was probably only due to the congestion being so minor. But, with all of the replies I received, I felt a little more informed to know what possible consequences I was facing should I not treat the situation with the appropriate caution. I think any, even slightly, more severe symptoms in the future will probably be enough to keep me out of the water, given some of the personal accounts here but, everyone's helpful suggestions really gave me a peace of mind with a little more confidence in assessing the situation, and I am very thankful for all the great responses.

Thank you, all.

Screw that...if i've paid money to fly to anther country, i'm in the hotel and the dive is tomorrow...i'm taking some meds down in a plastic bag and popping one on the bottom...plenty of water to chase it with down there after all.

Worst story of congestion reverse block I've heard(told in person) was about a guy who had taken decongestion meds just before the dive, and they wore off during the dive, when he was ascending he had what he described as a blinding white pain in his sinuses... when he surfaced his mask was full of snot, the expanding air had cleared his sinuses for him, he was lucky he didn't have any real damage from it.

I had a reverse block about a month ago from some MINOR congestion that occurred because it was a wet night dive and the surface swim caused my nose to start running. Painful like crazy and caused my tinnitus to flair-up for a week. It scared the hell out of me at depth because it was painful and my ascent had to be suuuuuuuuuuuuuuupeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr slllllloooooooooowwwwwww. Like 10 mins from 30 feet, hovering every meter gained for a minute or more.

Avocadogirl, something else you can do prior to a dive is to try equalizing on land and see if it's difficult at all. If equalizing is difficult or impossible on land, it will be even worse at depth and diving would be contraindicated.

seems to me, and I'm really nobody, that DAN likes to print negitive findings on things that didn't orininate from them. the sited studys show negitive examples and nothing in the positive. I've been diving on sudefed and afrin as long as I can remember diving in cold water. For 3 years I did 4-6 drops per day, 5 days per week 36f-48f, 50ft for as long as an hour and 20 per. This was all while breathing on some fancy ass sherwood brut regs, 80al's, and my bondage wing..

My point studies that only show one side are only raw usless data. You need 2 sides to prove or disprove a theory.:idk:

I routinely dive with pseudoephedrine * sudafed * decongestant, but am well aware of the risks. This is not recommended by either PADI or the diving medical community, due to the risck of medicine wearing off underwater and causing a reverse block.
Futhermore, sudafed is a central nervous system stimulant, and can thus lead to convulsions, especially when you dive enriched air (see the enriched air/ nitrox diving manual reference book).

Another point of interest is decongestans increase your metabolism rate, thus leading to dehydration and thus contributing to a higher risk of DCS.
Side effects of decongestants include disorientation, not good when mixed with allready existing pressure on the inner ear while diving.
Overall, the general approach to the matter is do not dive when sick or congested.
What you do on your own is of course your decision, but do consider all the side effects. Any mistake can be lethal underwater.

i read somewhere that you should start taking medication 72 hours before the dive and contiune 24 hours after to make shure it is in your system when you hit the water and wont wear off till after you are good and dry. any one else ever herd this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom