Tyler State Park This Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, vis can be good out there, but it's kind of a freaky day when that happens. Spring and fall seem to be better, when the water is a little cooler. I've read a report here once that someone was on the surface and could see the platform well, down below them. This must have been one of those freaky days. Did you ever find the platform?

Yeah, the logs you found are probably the brush pile, except there should be some actual tree brush there too, with limbs and all that? The grass is creepy, I agree with your wife. I cover myself from head to toe there, beanie to gloves to long suit for sure.

Does sound like you found some nice fish, though, that's always a plus. There is a great fundraiser held out there each year to benefit Scottish Rite, with a trash pick-up, treasure hunt and super prizes, even a scuba "rodeo". I didn't go last year, but it's a very well run event. Check out Scuba Steves Aquatic Adventures in Tyler for details, or I will post them here when I hear of the next event. They also host an annual pumpkin carving/chili cookoff event in October. Terrible vis during pumpkin carving, ha!

So not you've experienced TSP diving... if I go out there this fall, will post to see if yall want to give it another try. Keep checking out the swamps, that's what it's all about!

Foo,

We found the platform right away, blind luck actually, found a line running to it and followed the line for about 10' and there it was.

Yes, there were tree branches and such but the pile was predominantly logs piled on top of logs on top of more logs. It looked like the kind of pile that you could win a bass fishing tournament off of, it's big and the fish probably replenish themselves on it.

I read about the fundraiser while searching for info on the park. I am headed to Cozumel the last week of October and with 2 kids playing sports in the fall, it all depends on when the clean-up is scheduled and what the kid's schedules are.

I wanted to dive something different and experience some different conditions and it definitely accomplished that. My wife is a bit timid about the public lakes, she's very afraid that she is going to get entangled in something be it fishing line or a lost anchor line or something, so even though she hated the grass and the visibility I think it was good for her to dive in unfamiliar waters and gain some more confidence.

We both wore shorty wetsuits, she was cold down below the thermocline, but I would have been comfortable in swim trunks and a rash guard. I think she would have fared better in her full wetsuit for the grass as you said. I enjoyed staying down in the grass because I knew the fish would be down in there and I enjoy watching the fish.

I'll be back again for sure but probably not until the fall. Probably try to camp and ride the mountain bike trails too next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom