Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't agree. The fact that the looting and vandalism was so well-organized and began so quickly suggests that this was not just an unusual situation resulting from the storm; it's more like well-established criminals quickly taking advantage of a disaster.

That is substantiated by the experiences of the boat captain described below and also by the specific warnings about the high crime rate in Chuuk from the US consular service, which also mentions that the police aren't very helpful - especially in instances of theft.

I've never been to that part of the world but I had wanted to go - but not any more. I am sure that there are many fine people living on Chuuk, but the widely practiced and accepted criminal activity including the involvement of the police, the vicious behavior, and the malicious destruction has changed my mind.

https://www.facebook.com/kimball.corson/posts/731677813524858
You can make the same impulsive "unfair knee jerk causal ascription" (read "stereotype") to any socioeconomic upheaval in catastrophic circumstances like war, ethnic/race tensions or natural disaster --Be it Third World or First World.

I've been going to Truk Lagoon for seven consecutive years now, sometimes multiple trips per year, and there are certain areas on Weno and other islands which you never go by yourself (and never after dark outside the compound of the Blue Lagoon Resort or Truk Stop Hotel, or Village Guest House), just as I know that there are "hoods" here in my hometown of Los Angeles that I will not normally go in unless looking for trouble or to get robbed at gunpoint. Does it not make sense that with the collapse of social infrastructure and Local/National Gov't Services after a natural disaster, riot or war that general anarchy will break out, rather than to unfairly or naively label a whole culture as pre-existing laissez faire or corrupted?

I don't think anyone is suggesting the entire place​ is corrupted, but I think we're all well aware that a small minority can ruin things for everyone.

You can make the same impulsive "unfair knee jerk causal ascription" (read "stereotype") to any socioeconomic upheaval in catastrophic circumstances like war, ethnic/race tensions or natural disaster --Be it Third World or First World.

I've been going to Truk Lagoon for seven consecutive years now, sometimes multiple trips per year, and there are certain areas on Weno and other islands which you never go by yourself (and never after dark outside the compound of the Blue Lagoon Resort or Truk Stop Hotel, or Village Guest House), just as I know that there are "hoods" here in my hometown of Los Angeles that I will not normally go in unless looking for trouble or to get robbed at gunpoint. Does it not make sense that with the collapse of social infrastructure and Local/National Gov't Services after a natural disaster, riot or war that general anarchy will break out, rather than to unfairly or naively label a whole culture as pre-existing laissez faire or corrupted?

Actually it is you that are exhibiting an "unfair knee jerk causal ascription" to explain away unpleasant reports about a place that you love. As I have said, and as WetPup has affirmed, no one has stated that everybody and everything about Chuuk is corrupt, but that these disturbing incidents and reports make it a much less attractive dive tourist destination.

And you insist on putting words into other people's mouths, Egovenatus clearly said that the attitude and actions of the people he encountered was worse than Afghanistan and Iran at the most difficult of times - but you changed that to "Of course you are talking about a certain non-majority criminal representative groups behavior taking advantage of a chaotic situation caused by a natural disaster" but that's not what he said.

And it has been shown that this criminal activity against tourists was a serious problem long before the typhoon hit. The storm didn't bring out the worst in these thugs, it just gave them an excuse to escalate criminal behaviors and violence. And it is no surprise when the police are perpetrating and/or ignoring the crimes; in such cases what hope is there for protection and justice for innocent people, both natives and visitors?

I have repeatedly stated that I have never been there and I acknowledge that crime and corruption (and crooked Cops!) can happen all over the world; but these reports about Chuuk have convinced me to stay away, but of course you have the right to keep traveling there just as others have the right to keep their distance.

Actually it is you that are exhibiting an "unfair knee jerk causal ascription" to explain away unpleasant reports about a place that you love. As I have said, and as WetPup has affirmed, no one has stated that everybody and everything about Chuuk is corrupt, but that these disturbing incidents and reports make it a much less attractive dive tourist destination.

And you insist on putting words into other people's mouths, Egovenatus clearly said that the attitude and actions of the people he encountered was worse than Afghanistan and Iran at the most difficult of times - but you changed that to "Of course you are talking about a certain non-majority criminal representative groups behavior taking advantage of a chaotic situation caused by a natural disaster" but that's not what he said.

And it has been shown that this criminal activity against tourists was a serious problem long before the typhoon hit. The storm didn't bring out the worst in these thugs, it just gave them an excuse to escalate criminal behaviors and violence. And it is no surprise when the police are perpetrating and/or ignoring the crimes; in such cases what hope is there for protection and justice for innocent people, both natives and visitors?

I have repeatedly stated that I have never been there and I acknowledge that crime and corruption (and crooked Cops!) can happen all over the world; but these reports about Chuuk have convinced me to stay away, but of course you have the right to keep traveling there just as others have the right to keep their distance.
Rationalize and project on me as you think excuses your own outright prejudice & judgment and negativistic naive sensationalism, versus my objective observations & experiences as a tourist & Scuba patron for the past seven years, and fairly analyzing how such a natural disaster can break down a country heavily dependent on US aid to begin with --I don't care.

I'm going back there some day before the end of 2015 for my eighth consecutive year . . .and you're not.

I think people are putting too much stock in State Department/Foreign Affairs travel warnings. If you believed everything you read in those warnings, nobody would even visit the US, let alone somewhere like Micronesia.

Envy, one of the Seven Deadly Sins, whether of material wealth. political power, or jealously perceived nationalistic/cultural/racial superiority of another entity --Envy is the prime motivator of Evil in times of strife, catastrophe and anarchy.

I think people are putting too much stock in State Department/Foreign Affairs travel warnings...

You are right, I have deleted my post above. I wish the best for the people of Chuuk and I hope that the criminals are caught and punished although that doesn't seem likely. And I wish everyone traveling to Chuuk a safe and happy trip

You are right, I have deleted my post above. I wish the best for the people of Chuuk and I hope that the criminals are caught and punished although that doesn't seem likely. And I wish everyone traveling to Chuuk a safe and happy trip
"Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain Wisdom, not a guide by which to Live. . ." --Robert F. Kennedy

Rationalize and project on me as you think excuses your own outright prejudice & judgment and negativistic naive sensationalism, versus my objective observations & experiences as a tourist & Scuba patron for the past seven years

Ok it's fun to watch you all debate (that's sarcasm), but this is a bit too much to say you are objective. I'm hardly ever on scubaboard and I still already know some of your posts are full of political/racial/social commentary, just like the one above. Not to mention you go to Truk often as admitted.

And for the other people, I also think they have their own views, also not objective as they have seen the bad actions or read reports of others and formulated their opinion.

The only objective part here is a devastating typhoon hit the island, boats were looted and destroyed, some are being fixed, and some land-based operations are running. It might be better to start a separate thread to theorize on the how and why of looting and criminal activity if you want to continue to discuss, and keep this one on the status of the boats and diving. Just my UNobjective $.02 as I'm thinking of going there, but have no desire for a political or social discussion at this time, which no one will win or change their opinions on anyway. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom