Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate it, thanks goes to all the people at the resort too, everyone worked hard.

Reality is that the insurance will probably cover all of the costs of the damage to the liveaboards.

Insurance rarely covers "all of the costs" of anything. A policy that does - for something like a boat - would be silly expensive. (Other than in hindsight, of course.)

However, I'm guessing it's extremely unlikely that any boat is insured against business loss due to the boat being out of commission. Certainly not against loss of future (ie "not yet booked" trips that end up never being booked.)

Layer in various "act of God" provisos in insurance policies, and the like.

Be interesting if Wookie might chime in here.

I wonder how close the Odyssey was to her normally scheduled yard period? I think they said they did one every three years but I could be mistaken. Hopefully it was coming up anyway since it would be less of a strain on the budget and schedule.

She came out of her maintenance last year. Her dry dock in the Philippines as well, 8 days by sea. JJ said that it was an "experience" to take a former ferry on the open ocean.

Seems to me not a lot of hard info coming from the odyssey office, just lots of speculation. Would be good to know more, but understand the difficulty in communication.

On Facebook:

Odyssey Adventures, Truk Lagoon

April 3 at 8:07pm · Edited ·

Thought I would get a quick update out before trying to get a little sleep. Talked with Lenny awhile ago. Things are moving along out there. Work getting done on the boat. Both skiffs in the water and home safely. The power is making it about halfway down the island. We now have power at our storage facility. The road is cleared of trees and rocks. There is now a tropical depression that has formed. However as of right now it is approximately 280 nautical miles east of Chuuk.... They are getting rain but that is good to fill up cisterns.

The guys will be taking a break on Sunday to go over to one of the islands many of our crew live on for mass and to check on our crew.

I want to take this opportunity to give a shout out to a couple of people. First of all, Cliff, our partner, for doing what he does in the office. He is amazing! A special shout out to someone I haven't yet and that is Mike Espejo. Mike is our engineer and recovering from a surgery he had just weeks before the typhoon. We are very thankful for him. Again, Mike Gerken who was on the first flight to Chuuk, picked up Lenny from the airport and has been knee deep in oil as well.

I also want to say, on behalf of Lenny, Cliff and myself the most sincere thank you to every single one of you who are praying for us, sent well wishes, support us and remind us why we are doing this.

We wish everyone a safe and happy Easter.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2015 at 02:46 PM ----------

Fundraiser web site has been established for the Odyssey crew and their families:

Crew relief fund by Cara Kolczynski - GoFundMe

Last edited:
Little bird told me that all reservations are cancelled on Odyssey for May, but they will be operating in June. I don't know if I believe it, but I hope it's true!

The 31 May to 7 June trip has been cancelled. I don't know past then. Trying to sort out my group. Most of us wanted to be on the Osyssey so will probably not go with another operator on these dates. Big sigh as everyone was looking forward to this. My thoughts are with those in Chuuk as they deal with the aftermath.

That's too bad, I didn't think they could get her to the dry dock and get her repaired that fast. Like I said, the damage I saw would require a fairly significant amount of work. But the travel agent said they were going to be operating again in June....time will tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom