U-1105

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contact Sea Dive in Solomons. Mike knows a guy who takes divers to the U-boat. On my list, just never find the time.

I went out a couple weeks ago with the group that went down and pulled the chain up to attach the buoy. Very low viz, but they got everything accomplished. I have a nice murky video of the muck if anybody wants to see what to expect. Going back end of July.

MPT also recently did a segment on the wreck for their "Secrets of the Chesapeake" series:

http://youtu.be/MRtT6TEC-3E

Youtube link is private. I would love to see the video. I saw one recently that really was not as bad as I expected it to be. I have dove the upper Potomac several times and there is absolutely no vis.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2012 at 09:39 PM ----------

I just found two videos on youtube and I am actually impressed with the vis. Apparently Woodbridge scuba has a line on a boat for the charter. Appears to be a crabbing and/or oyster boat. Of course, we could probably find our own if we wanted. Most of those guys would love to take 6 divers out at $75 or so a person. Much easier and more profitable than a day of crabbing. I can get with Ed at Woodbridge if I can get an idea of timing that everyone is looking for and a true head count.

Youtube link is private. I would love to see the video. I saw one recently that really was not as bad as I expected it to be. I have dove the upper Potomac several times and there is absolutely no vis.\

Here is a video from the dive. The muck was edited down to the visable portions of the dive.

Deploying a lift bag on the Chain - YouTube

If anyone is interested in going I'm in touch with an instructor who runs a 6 pack and has the following dates available:

Saturday 11 August 2012 Hours: (Morning)
Sunday 12 August 2012 Hours: (Morning)
Saturday 25 August 2012 Hours: (Afternoon)
Sunday 26 August 2012 Hours: (Morning)
Saturday 8 September 2012 Hours: (Afternoon)
Sunday 9 September 2012 Hours: (Afternoon)

His requirements for divers are AOW, reel and lift bag/smb, big light plus backup light, ability to make a free ascent in low vis with no references other than gauges (wreck is buoyed, this is in case of losing the upline). The dates above are selected for minimal currents based on tide and lunar phase. 5-6 feet of vis is normal for summer. Cost is $100 per diver.

If any here are interested, pm me and we'll work out a date while I get five other divers together.

Wow, I've had 6 definitely interested people contact me about the charter. I'm sure some may drop out as we fix a date, so anyone interested should still get in touch.

I guess we're off to see the black panther!

If anybody is interested in diving the U1105, you can PM me and I can put you in touch with one of the foremost experts on the wreck. He has several trips planned based on the tidal charts through October. I know that the July 28th trip that I am going on is full, but there are other dates available.

[video=youtube_share;4ATUHRkaags]http://youtu.be/4ATUHRkaags[/video]

Greetings,
I have been diving and taking divers to the U-1105 for about 10 years. I regularly schedule trips to the sub. I have seats available in August and September. I can take up to 6 divers at a time. This is not a dive for "honeymoon" divers. The visibility and currents can be challenging. I have seen as little as 1 foot, to as much as 12 feet of viz. I only schedule dives when the tides and moon allow for civilized current. To get an idea of the condition of the wreck and the viz on a good day, check out my YouTube video from Sept 2010. U1105 Piney Point Md, Sept 2010 - YouTube . If you caught the Maryland Public Television show called "Secrets of the Chesapeake", you would have seen some of my U-1105 video.

---------- Post added ----------

Greetings,
I have been diving and taking divers to the U-1105 for about 10 years. I am the guy that dvankirk was talking about regularly schedule trips to the sub. I have seats available in August and September. I can take up to 6 divers at a time. This is not a dive for "honeymoon" divers. The visibility and currents can be challenging. I have seen as little as 1 foot, to as much as 12 feet of viz. I only schedule dives when the tides and moon allow for civilized current. To get an idea of the condition of the wreck and the viz on a good day, check out my YouTube video from Sept 2010. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ATUHRkaags . If you caught the Maryland Public Television show called "Secrets of the Chesapeake", you would have seen some of my U-1105 video.

Back
Top Bottom