Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to it!

Maxbottomtime, I want to go purchase a clamp or two to help me load gloves on my Ultima Dryglove Rings.

Can you recommend the best ones? Got a link?

Thanks Dave!

Can I use these? They appear to be the same thing and are available locally:

https://low.es/2pUYchN

I hate to be a pain, but is there any way you can video you using these clamps to load a set of gloves? I'm not sure that I quite understand how you do it... And I'd like to see how it's done by someone who has done it before.

Thanks in advance!

Those Clamps are fine. I use similar ones. Just put one part of the glove/o-ring into the groove and clamp it down. Work your way around the ring and after a few cm clamp down there as well. Now you pull the O-Ring into place on the other side. It may still slip and it's still a pain to do, but way easier than without clamps.

SeaJay, I use similar ones. They are also available at most 99 cent stores. I keep a couple on my boat and two at home, but I only use one when installing gloves. I got tired of trying to hold the glove against my knee or a table while I tucked the rest of the glove onto the ring. It always came loose just as I got half way around. The clamp holds perfectly.
1154-2-jpg.398390.jpg

BTW, While we were in Canada I had Merry put her hands inside the Ultima rings another diver had. She was able to get her hands through easily so I bought her a set. She even went into the fishing store in Port Hardy and bought some 720s. I'll get her to try them out this weekend. She's hesitant to remove her wrist seals but I think after a few dives she will relent. :)

..While we were in Canada I had Merry put her hands inside the Ultima rings another diver had. She was able to get her hands through easily so I bought her a set. She even went into the fishing store in Port Hardy and bought some 720s. I'll get her to try them out this weekend. She's hesitant to remove her wrist seals but I think after a few dives she will relent. :)

Awesome. :)

Yeah, most people that I talk to are reluctant to trim their wrist seals all the way back too (effectively removing them). I guess old habits die hard, and nobody really trusts drygloves - which makes sense if they're used to latex gloves. :) I can promise, though, that the nitrile 720s are a LOT more durable and trustworthy than either silicone or latex wrist seals.

...Not that it's a bad idea to have both I guess - and if a diver keeps the wrist seals, they always have the option of using a wet glove... Or no gloves at all. Thing is, though - once they try this Ultima/720 combination, they'll never want a wet glove again... And they'll sorta come to the conclusion that the ease of donning that comes with the fully trimmed ("removed") wrist seals would be a big advantage - and it is. :)

...Anyway, I have you to thank for the idea. My bet is that Merry will come to the same conclusion that you and I did. :) I guess it just takes a while to learn to trust the gloves. :)

Are you planning on making a video so that I can see how you use the clamps? Do the arms of the clamp clear the rest of the ring? Why do I need three? Sounds like a job for two...

Ordered sample gloves form Showa - they were very nice. Sending me Lg and XLg to try. Thanks for the tip Seajay!

You bet buddy! :) Combining my dives with all the divers I know diving the SHOWA 720 gloves, there's probably 1000 or 1500 dives total over maybe 15 divers or so... And the general consensus seems to be that they're superior in every way to any latex "Marigold" style glove, and better than the SHOWA 660 "Smurf" glove, the 620 "orange" glove, the 660ESD "black" glove, and the 490 "Furry Smurf" glove. I'd go so far as to consider them "tried and tested" at this point, so I can recommend them without hesitation over any other glove I list here.

Are you planning on making a video so that I can see how you use the clamps? Do the arms of the clamp clear the rest of the ring? Why do I need three? Sounds like a job for two...

I have the same clamp that is pictured above (.99 at Harbor Freight!). I have used it with success on the 720s/Ultima combo.

What I am NOT able to do is to put the O-ring INSIDE the glove first and put that over the ring (so that the extra glove material is inside the glove after you put on the O-ring). I just can't get it on any way I try. So, I have the extra material on the outside of the glove, folded over - then I put the protection ring on. The white inside of the glove shows, but if I trim it off, I can't get that glove on again. So, no trimming.

Can't wait to try this out, but am waiting for my new drysuit to arrive! :)

I don't think it'll seal that way... Water will leak past the fabric liner and you'll have damp hands.

The only way that works is if your gloves have NO liner in them at all - like in a latex glove - but then you lack the comfort and ease of donning and doffing that comes with a lined glove. Sweaty palms, too... And COLD. It's just not worth it.

To load the 720s onto an Ultima Ring, you've gotta put the o-ring in first, then put the glove on the hard ring so that the end of the glove ends up inside. THEN you can put the flat protective rings on.

That way, you're using the outside (blue face) of the glove to do the sealing.

Still hoping someone will do a video...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom