Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG... Fastest, easiest glove load ever. That's just awesome.

Yep, I am totally doing this.

Keep us posted on the leak in the "281" and if it worked. I take it that the shortness of the 282/281 doesn't bother you?

The length doesn’t bother me at all. I keep my seals in, and my sleeve are on the longish side, so I never notice the length. I have the new Santi 2.0 gloves in hand, wrong size though, they are pretty thick, that’s what motivated me to take out the liner in the 282. Very doable now.

If I can keep my R dry, and get the gloves changed out to the correct size, I’ll get them wired up and put up a review.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to your review of the 281/282 gloves... Specifically on their durability and warmth.

...So regarding your video: Have you used the 720s? Can you compare them to the 281/282s yet?

Also... Is your disk attached to a piece of sheetrock? Is it clamped to a table?

Last edited:
I haven’t used the 720 yet, I’m looking forward to it since your rec.

The circular blanks are mounted to a small square of plywood or you could use anything you have around. Then I just clamp it into my tail vise on my bench. There’s nothing special about that either, just what I have. You could put in a regular vise, or put a clamp, vise grips, etc, whatever you have to hold it still. Or someone could steady it on the back of your pickup. Must of the force is going down so it wouldn’t take much.

Ah, that makes sense. :)

Yeah, by far your jig-thing is the best tool I've seen for loading gloves.

Unfortunately, the water here is already past 70 degrees and I think my drysuit season's 'bout over... So I won't be testing the 281/282s vs the 720s until maybe November.

...So for the meantime, I'm testing vicariously through you. :)

70? That’s wild. The water never gets 70 here. Even after a long hot summer, it’s still 38 in the lake, on the wrecks. Thank goodness it’s somewhat warmer when doing deco. It’s miserable this time of year.

Yep. Four months ago it was 36... With air temps as low as 10 or 15 at night. I think one day I splashed in the early morning in the mid 20's.

In three or four months it'll be nearly 90 in the water... With air temps over 100 midday.

Our local saltwater tides are around 8.5', twice a day... So well-mixed; no thermoclines.

In the lakes and quarries it can be a different story, though. I know of one place 100 miles north of here that sees summertime surface temps of 85 or 90 with a 100' bottom temp in the low 40's. There's like five or six distinct thermoclines as you descend.

...Which makes gear choices pretty tricky. :)

That's when you wear a thick wetsuit, spend as little time on the bottom as you can and unzip during your ascent. :)
I'm lucky that the water around Palos Verdes only gets to 48° on rare occasions. Most of the time it is between 50° to 60° year round. I wear a drysuit all year. Catalina and the rest of SoCal is usually ten degrees warmer.

Wow, nice!

It's difficult to nail the temperature here because there's such a huge spread.

I mean... Unless you dive every day like I do and can make small adjustments daily.

The toughest part is figuring out at what point you want to switch from wet to dry. Honestly, it has more to do with whether or not you're willing to hose yourself off on the dock. :)

Back
Top Bottom