Ultrawide lens from Olympus: when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope to see a 90 to 100 mm F/2 macro that will go to 1:1 before the end of the year myself. The 8 to 16 mm zoom should be about half the cost of the 7 to 14 zoom and will complement the E-420/E-520 offerings out this year.

Phil Rudin

hi
- would anybody have any idea (guess ?) what the main difference would be in qualityterms between the existing 7-14, which is in the pro-range of Oly (but anyhow unaffordable), and the new 8(?)-16(?)mm which will be in the standard range ?
- what would be the main advantage of the 100mm macro (1:1) compared to the 50mm (1:2) ? probably the opportunity to stay a litle further from the animal ? Is this then really compared to a 200 mm in analog terms ? You could 'take ' the eye of a pygmeeseahorse ? :)

so both lensens are more to be expected in september probably ?
jan

Hi Jan,

The 100 mm is the 35 mm equv. of a 200 mm and will put greater distance between the port and subject. At life size (1:1) the subject will be the same size as it would be with the 35 macro at 1:1, the only difference would be distance to subject and shallower depth of field. The 100 mm macro will be a specialty lens for skittish subjects and NOT a standard macro choice, at least not for me. I will also take a higher degree of skill to use as DOF and steadying the lens will be challenging.

The Olympus standard range lenses have tested very well against the competition in the same price and angle of view range. The new standard wide zoom will not be weather sealed or as robust in build quality. However I use the 35 mm macro (under $200.00) all the time with outstanding results, you just can't get as close as you sometimes need to be because it focuses to about 3 mm from the port.

Phil Rudin

back again on the new lens:
I am a little puzzled on the possibilities of the new lens and this in relation to the 8mm fisheye:
- both are +/- same price
- the 8mm is a 'real' fisheye: angle 180 degrees
- the 9-18 has probably an max angle of 110 (I saw that the angle of the 'unaffordable' 7-14mm was 75 - 114 degrees, on the Belgian site there is mentioned that the angle of the 9-18 is 65 °, but this for the 18mm-side probably)

If I had to chose (I want to buy one) between the 8mm fisheye and the new one 9-18mm for underwater photography what is now really the best choice. For sure you can use/enjoye the 9-18 also above the water, which is not the case for the 8mm.
Probably also important if you consider the extra cost of the port: the 8mm needs a dome port, the 9-18 probable a less expensive port (not dome)
But what to do if you only consider the possibilities underwater ?
tnks
jan

Sheesh, I can't even afford the 7-11 at this point....

After doing my first trip with the 50mm lens, I'm so glad I listened to Phil, Roger and others. That lens absolutely rocks. Throw a custom woody's diopter in front and you're getting some killer macro. I'll post some results later. Just got back and I'm whipped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom