Ultrawide lens from Olympus: when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

back again on the new lens:
I am a little puzzled on the possibilities of the new lens and this in relation to the 8mm fisheye:
- both are +/- same price
- the 8mm is a 'real' fisheye: angle 180 degrees
- the 9-18 has probably an max angle of 110 (I saw that the angle of the 'unaffordable' 7-14mm was 75 - 114 degrees, on the Belgian site there is mentioned that the angle of the 9-18 is 65 °, but this for the 18mm-side probably)

If I had to chose (I want to buy one) between the 8mm fisheye and the new one 9-18mm for underwater photography what is now really the best choice. For sure you can use/enjoye the 9-18 also above the water, which is not the case for the 8mm.
Probably also important if you consider the extra cost of the port: the 8mm needs a dome port, the 9-18 probable a less expensive port (not dome)
But what to do if you only consider the possibilities underwater ?
tnks
jan

I'm assuming the 9-18 is a rectilinear like the 7-14. So while you lose a little bit of view angle, you gain by not getting the distortion to straight lines. A lot of people post that the fisheye effect isn't that bad for underwater shots since most of what you shoot is 'organic' and not rectilinear anyway, but imaging a shot of the leg structure on an oil platform dive, or a wreck, and you can certainly see the interest in avoiding the fisheye distortion effect as well.

I really don't think you'd want to use the 9-18 behind a flat - any more than you would the 7-14. Domes preserve view angles at the cost of image distance, flat ports exchange field of view for magnification. Putting an extreme WA lens behind a flat would defeat the purpose...you'd be just as well off sticking with the 14-54 behind your dome, I guess.

p.s. just read on DPreview that the 9-18 will be compatible with the EC14 and EC20 teleconverters. What exactly would be the benefit of using a WA lens with something that has the effect of doubling its focal length...vs using a middle-wide standard lens in the first place ???

After doing my first trip with the 50mm lens, I'm so glad I listened to Phil, Roger and others. That lens absolutely rocks. Throw a custom woody's diopter in front and you're getting some killer macro. I'll post some results later. Just got back and I'm whipped.

Looking forward to seeing your images !!!

just a few using just the 50 MM macro with an E-330 in an Ike housing with a DS -125 strobe.taken on Grand cayman

Attachments

• PB291866 copy.jpg
    PB291866 copy.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 21
  • PB261636 copy.jpg
    PB261636 copy.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 20
Fantastic - you guys are pushing me towards bankrupcy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom