Under Armour under my dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dukemdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be getting my Dry suit certification at the end of February here in Texas and the water is going to be cold, maybe not as cold as anywhere in the northeast, but still cold to a southern boy. I just wanted to see if anyone had any good luck with something like the Under Armour cold Gear worn under my T100 bare undergarments, because I don' think that the T100 undergarment is going to be enough in the 45 degree water. I do get cold easy, I wear a 3/2 mm wet suit in almost 90 degree water in the summer. Thanks

Last edited:
doesn't have to be underarmor brand there are cheaper things, but this is what I wear/wore in 40 degree water: off brand similar to underarmor skinsuit top and bottom. Polypropylene (mil issue style) pants and shirt. fleece ski suit, whites mk2 john, whites mk2 jacket. Also very thick pair of wool socks.

If you tend to get cold easily 45F waters are pretty cold. I don't know that the T100 would all that well I would definetly get something good under that. I know me personally would need more. I would suggest atleast Under armour Cold gear, I did a dive couple weeks ago water was 38F I wore my Fourth Element Arctic/Xt250 together and was nice. Again depends on you as each person is different. Length of dive will also play a part. If your only doing a 20min dive you might be ok and tough it out if your planning on a 40min dive maybe not.

Also something to consider would getting a pair of Dry gloves, I have noticed when my hands are warm my body is warmer once my hands get cold typically I will start shortly after but since my drygloves not really an issue. I have worn my Fourth Element Arctic's, with a light shirt underneath with waters about 45-50 after about 10-15 min I started getting cold 60+ Just arctics I am good anything below I will double up. Again I get cold easily and don't like the cold so I prepare to stay comfortable.

Another thing to look into now that your getting a Drysuit is a Pee Valve. I at first told myself I didn't need it, Dove for a whole year without and was fine then one day down at 80~ it hit me and started having to go. Luckily we were on our way up but the slow ascent and then heading back in others planned to swim a little more at the shallower depth 25~ which was planned but I couldn't wait got my buddy's attention and had to make a uick run for it. I made it but a very very close call, Immediatly after that it went to the shop to get one installed a very useful piece of equipment.

Enjoy your dive

Depends on the type of suit too. If a neoprene drysuit, that would probably be all you need. If a bag style you will need more, see what FWADiver and a22shady said. Neoprene suits have their own thermal proerties where other suits dont.

another thought I had, I would wear an underarmor style layer even if you didn't need it for warmth, My experience is the under layer seems to trap the 'stink' and keeps it from saturating your undergarment. Especially useful if your undergarment is thinsulate or some other material you want to wash a minimum number of times.

I used to wear Merino Wool underwear as a baselayer with my drysuit. It was a good addition. My primary layer was 4th Element Xerotherm.

Not sure if this applies to the type of diving you're planning to do, but one thing to keep in mind is that if (when) your dry suit floods, the thicker drysuit undergarments will still provide some insulation, whereas not every Under Armor or base layer will. If you're in a position to get out of the water and get dry/warm relatively quickly, this might not be much of an issue and lots of people successfully dive without specialized drysuit undergarments, but if you're not and it's cold enough, insulation that's inadequate when wet can be a safety risk you need to consider and plan for.

I wear underarmor as a base under my XM450 in the winter. As the water warms up I take the underarmor base off first then I switch to my summer undergarment. It may take a few dives to figure out what will work for you.

Even in the summer wear something as a base layer. Google images for "dry suit squeeze". I use Patagonia Capilene, also have a pair of Under Armour. Both have long sleeves and long pants. -keeps your suit from getting a good "bite" on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom