Understanding GUE diving method

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amobeus

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking into diving methods by different training organizations. I was reading and talking to several GUE divers who told me that they do not favor a double bladder bcd while deep teck diving and use only Halcyon single bladder bcd's, and in the case of a bladder failer at depth for example 240' they would use there dry suits to aid them to the surface while blowing a bag, Call me what you like for not understanding the logic behind this method, but using a dry suit to get to the surface is the most unsafe method I have heard of and even if it was part of a training program I'd never attempt it. What happens if your suit burps or you swing, I can't see how this can be a safe method to use or teach while hanging at a deco stop with stage bottles and with all that weight wouldn't you be up to your waist in mud and --- out of luck. A back up bladder just seems to be the more logical method for me, isn't teck diving training mainly learning how to isolate and get back to the surface safely and alive.I haven't taken any teck courses yet but I figure this is the best place to get all my concerns and questions answered. I would like to hear from any one who may be able to help me understand some methods over other. I hope I'm not pissing any one.

Amobeus

Hi

The question was directed at GUE divers because thats whom I was talking to, and they were stuck on there methods but couldn't realy come up with an answere for me that I could live with. If there are other divers trainedby other agencies that use the same method please contribute. I don't want this to be an arguement I just want to learn.

Amobeus

If it's so unsafe why does PADI teach divers to use their drysuit for buoyancy?

Good question, Were is a PADI instructor when you need one. I beleave PADI teaches it as an aid to leveling out while on a dive in conjuntion with the divers hip weight and not as a sole method to get off the bottom if you have a complete bladder failer, but there are divers who do over compensate and brake all the PADI rules isn't there.

Amobeus

amobeus once bubbled...
Good question, Were is a PADI instructor when you need one. I beleave PADI teaches it as an aid to leveling out while on a dive in conjuntion with the divers weight and not as a sole method to get off the bottom if you have a complete bladder failer, but there are divers who do over compensate and brake all the PADI rules isn't there.

Amobeus

You're misunderstanding something. The drysuit is used for buoyancy in the event of a complete bladder failure. This is the exact same thing that PADI teaches drysuit divers to do normally.

PADI drysuit classes teach you to leave the BC completely empty while you dive, using the drysuit solely for buoyancy

more of the argument against double bladders as I've heard is that if one wing is damaged or punctured theres a good chance that the 2nd is as well.
If one is diving a balanced rig, very little bouancy should be required to begin ascent.
The chance of a total wing failure where it can't provide any bouancy is remote - should be able to hold some air and probably enough to get you positive.

I don't see how you believe using a dry suit for bouyancy control is unsafe. I agree its not optimal but with practice whats the big problem.
Certainly you can't believe that a bag is unsafe do you?

Weighted down by more than 100 pounds of equipment, many divers believe that they must have very large buoyancy compensators. In fact, many divers use BCs with as little as 45 pounds of lift while others insist upon dual BCs with a combined lift of 160lbs. Obviously, one's dry land weight is inconsequential and a BC with 55lbs is usually enough to float nearly any diver. Many divers overweight themselves and then maintain a large reserve of air in their BC. Air in the BC. merely increases the drag resulting in a higher level of energy expenditure. Some divers insist on a reserve BC while others feel they are unnecessary. Generally the consensus is that while diving wet in an area with a deep or nonexistent floor (i.e. ocean or large cave) a redundant BC is a good idea. Many people feel that a diver diving a dry suit could use the suit for emergency buoyancy. This assertion is quite reasonable but should be practiced to determine one's proficiency.

In response to the technical divers concern over a loss of buoyancy several manufacturers have incorporated two bladders into one casing. These BCs have redundant exhaust valves and inflator systems. One should be wary of connecting both inflators at one time as a small leak from the inflator could continue adding air to the unaware divers BC. As the diver becomes more positive they will usually try to empty their primary BC remaining unaware of the secondary inflation. If the diver is unable to correct this problem quickly enough they may find themselves at the surface experiencing any number of maladies. The redundant BC inflator should be tucked away but within reach so that in the unlikely event of a failure an inflator can be connected. The spare inflator can be connected to the hose previously controlling the failed BC or to a hose attached to the corrugated hose but not connected to the power inflator.

Several of the new style BCs have become known as bondage wings because the contain numerous bands of flexible material that restrict the size of the wings and theoretically decrease their drag. When the BC is inflated the bands should stretch and allow the wings to fully inflate and when the air is released the bands shrink down the excess material of the BC. If one desires to use this system they must attach the flexible bands when the BC is inflated to insure that the bands do not prevent full inflation. The BC. should then be checked in the water to insure that the overpressure relief is not prematurely activated. Opinion, of course varies on the desirability of the system. As the wings get larger measures are taken to reduce their drag. Many divers still opt for the smaller size, eliminating the concern altogether.

The astute diver can make some fairly simple changes to their BC that will increase its ease of operation while also extending its longevity. First, one may cover the inner bladder with inner tube to protect its somewhat fragile design. The Seatech and ProSub BCs have a tougher casing then the early Diverite and are therefore less prone to puncture, yet the protective tube can be used for any style BC. The corrugated hose on nearly all BCs is far too long and is often impossible to streamline due to its length. By obtaining a much shorter corrugated hose and coupling it with a custom inflator hose the diver can significantly improve the cleanliness of their system. Finally, one should check all fittings on the BC and insure that they are secure. In some cases manufactures use one wire tie to secure the corrugated hose while a clamp would be far more secure.

jonnythan once bubbled...

PADI drysuit classes teach you to leave the BC completely empty while you dive, using the drysuit solely for buoyancy

That was the way I was taught and still dive. I rarely if ever us my wing. I am however trying to use the wing now beacause i have switched to a BP and find it is easier to control my bouyancy with the Wing.:)

Back
Top Bottom