Underwater Digital Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soonerwink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I wonder why none of the scuba gear manufactures has come out with wrist or re-tractor mounted digital compass. I love the one on my computer. I have never seen just the digital compass without it being integrated in a computer. Plus these are usually the higher end and more expensive computers. It would be nice if you could just buy the digital compass. Plus, it wouldn't stick and form bubbles. You just change the battery or charge when necessary.
Would you consider buying a digital compass?

Would you consider buying a digital compass?

Definitly!! It is nice to have features to make it easier to read and more accurate. I'd want the ability to control the speed of the rose rotation speed/number change to fit my needs. I'd also want side window digital display.

I think it could be a good idea. I like the digital compass on my Atomic Cobalt II because it has heading locks and you can set 90 degree headings, too. Something like taht stand alone would be helpful.

Lots of digital underwater compasses exist. The full Shearwater line carries them. I've known others who have had them as well. Just no stand alone. That would be a bit pointless. All the work to build a waterproof toy and all it does is a compass?

With that I have seen where the electronic version is a lot more sensitive to magnetic noise. And you will be dealing with another set of batteries to change. Where a traditional compass just works. If any compass is going to work, it is the old school mechanical analog compass.

I find zero interest in a stand alone digital compass. The analog compass works so good that I have been known to bring one along when I already have a pair of digital compasses on me.

From what I have seen, the Teric is the nicest one. Not the most expensive, price a NERD if you want to spend more.

What would you do for display? Teric-type one, you might as well throw in the whole computer (you'll need the graphics card anywa) and call it Teric. Basic segmented LCD could be functional but likely a pain to use. With that you could get decent runtime off a watch battery, but I seriously doubt you could beat $25 price tag on fleebay or $40 @ DGX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom