Underwater metal detecting dead in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gglockhart

Registered
Reaction score
I understand Georgia, Florida, and Alabama have passed laws making underwater metal detecting difficult if not illegal. I understand that each passed laws that anything that has been underwater for fifty years belongs to the state but a Georgia DNR officer told me any thing found in the water belongs to the state. In Florida, a diver told me that Florida DNR along the Chipola River has started charging divers with dredging for hand fanning. Any one out there with any experience with DNR and underwater metal detecting in Georgia or Florida? I want to start metal detecting underwater at the swimming areas of local lakes and at Merritt Mill Pond. I am looking for modern lost jewelry in and around swim areas or docks. I have had fishing lead confiscated by DNR that was so new that the lead had not started turning white, looked as if it was just lost. I like removing lead from our water ways because I do believe that it does eventually leach into the water an I have observed fish eating lead pellets and attacking lead fishing weights. Also I found lead bullets particly disolved and brass bullet casings with very little of the lead bullet still intact.

They have taken a hobby and turned it into a crime. The fines aren't cheap, up to $10,000. It's one of the reasons I get upset when people keep saying we need more money for enforcement. Don't these guys have anything more productive to do than confiscate a bag full of sinkers.

Most states have laws limiting or totaly outlawing recovery of artifacts or treasure. It seems like our government is here to suck the creative juices out of use. Every major find has been made by ordinary people, not the government. They do nothing to find this stuff but they don't want us to either. You would think by working with us it would be good for them too, income taxes.

I agree. They have the resources to fine, but not to find it themselves. I know I took my son metal detecting(on the beach)) at a National Park in Fl and it is not allowed! They will confiscate your detector. I tried explaining why to my son with difficulty as I didn't have a good answer for him!

I agree. They have the resources to fine, but not to find it themselves. I know I took my son metal detecting(on the beach)) at a National Park in Fl and it is not allowed! They will confiscate your detector. I tried explaining why to my son with difficulty as I didn't have a good answer for him!

I can see it around reefs. I love detecting but our world is dyings. Water is our live. It's like this. Fish hide in the coral,feed off growth of algee,ect. It then gives us air. our oceans and reefs are dying. For what,money!!Im sorry. If i found a treasure ship i might be mad if i had to leave it. But then again the state shouldnt haven't have it eather. We have missed up our planet. Our kids will suffer. We humans are stupid and greedy. Now i don't see any harm in lakes. I think we shouldnt listen to the state but only listen to scientist. The state has messed up things from day one, get caught doing things for themselves. They think of only themselves. I feel when i vote,it's like which one do i want to give our money to.

I can see it around reefs. I love detecting but our world is dyings. Water is our live. It's like this. Fish hide in the coral,feed off growth of algee,ect. It then gives us air. our oceans and reefs are dying. For what,money!!Im sorry. If i found a treasure ship i might be mad if i had to leave it. But then again the state shouldnt haven't have it eather. We have missed up our planet. Our kids will suffer. We humans are stupid and greedy. Now i don't see any harm in lakes. I think we shouldnt listen to the state but only listen to scientist. The state has messed up things from day one, get caught doing things for themselves. They think of only themselves. I feel when i vote,it's like which one do i want to give our money to.

SO let me get this straight.....our world is dying.....because of underwater metal detectors??????????:idk::idk:

I'm new to diving, but probably an 'advanced beginner' when it comes to understanding treasure hunting in Florida. As Dennis alluded to, the state of things as they exist today is enough to raise the Libertarian in anyone...

Treasure hunting in Florida- and particularly historic maritime salvage- has long been a part of the states soul and it went on relatively unimpeded until Fisher found the Atocha, 'beat city hall' via his Supreme Court victory and inspired the passage of laws on the Federal Level that undid Federal maritime arrest in many waters and threw back authority to the states, effectively wrapping the tentacles of state bureaucrats around the whole show.

Maritime Treasure Salvage in Florida is a 'thing' unto itself... As best I understand it (and I'm sure there are people here who know the minutiae involved and will correct me if I'm wrong...), you first must obtain an "exploration" permit, then after a nightmare of bureaucracy, apply for the mythical salvage permit, which they almost never issue anymore.

There are a number of grandfathered leases in Florida where Treasure Hunting is still permitted- for example, the original Fisher leases, which I believe still operate on a 20%/40%/40% split (20% to the state, 40% to the lessor and 40% to the treasure hunter)- again, I'm speaking in approximations here.

In various state parks and beaches, you're allowed to metal detect from the toe of the dune to the tide line. You're not allowed to detect in the water with an immersible unit. Same goes for treasure areas that are governed by an active lease. You might be able to metal detect on the beach, but bring that Sea Hunter knee deep into the water of Wabasso Beach and you're in no-no land...

As far as other forms of underwater treasure hunting in Florida, I do know they take a hard line pertaining to anything over 100 years old. Up until 2004 (I think) the state had an "Isolated Finds" program, where people who occasionally found stuff could fill out a form and if it wasn't of any real historic import, they could keep it. They discontinued this due to lack of utilization.

If you're interested in fossils, you can get a permit from the state to collect them on state lands, which I do believe also applies to waterways.

FLMNH - Vertebrate Paleontology - Florida Fossil Permits

At a minimum, this should be enough to ward off a bored cop with nothing better to do than hassle you for diving and looking.

As an aside, there are green chutes of an active movement amongst the treasure hunting community to start undoing some of this bull**** and allowing people to chase their rainbows, as they please... Stay tuned.

Well, I know in South Carolina you MUST obtain a Hobby Divers License to legally dive, or pick up anything of value below the water line of any body of water that is influenced by the tide. For example, if I went into a canal or creek that rises and falls with the tide for the sole purpose of looking for fossils, have to get a Hobby Divers License whether I am diving or not.

The license is not that much, I think less then $20 for two years. In my eyes that is a small price to pay to be able to dive for sharks teeth. Granted, I would rather not have to pay anything but at least it is not like $100.

Back
Top Bottom