Underwater metal detecting dead in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WASHINGTON – Low-income students may get smaller grants and the newly disabled might have to wait longer for their benefits. And just about every politician is going to get an earful from the local PTA if school aid gets whacked.

Republicans are finding it's one thing to issue a blanket promise to cut spending, an entirely different matter when you actually take the scissors to $1 of every $6 spent by agencies like the IRS, the FBI, NASA and the National Park Service. Federal layoffs would be unavoidable, the White House warns.

That's the real-world impact of House Republicans' campaign promise to cut $100 billion from the budgets of domestic agencies. Next week, they plan to vote on a resolution setting appropriations for the rest of the year at 2008 pre-recession levels in place before President Barack Obama took office.

Guess is will be a free for all metal detecting and looking for shipwrecks.....lol

WASHINGTON – Low-income students may get smaller grants and the newly disabled might have to wait longer for their benefits. And just about every politician is going to get an earful from the local PTA if school aid gets whacked.

Republicans are finding it's one thing to issue a blanket promise to cut spending, an entirely different matter when you actually take the scissors to $1 of every $6 spent by agencies like the IRS, the FBI, NASA and the National Park Service. Federal layoffs would be unavoidable, the White House warns.

That's the real-world impact of House Republicans' campaign promise to cut $100 billion from the budgets of domestic agencies. Next week, they plan to vote on a resolution setting appropriations for the rest of the year at 2008 pre-recession levels in place before President Barack Obama took office.

Guess is will be a free for all metal detecting and looking for shipwrecks.....lol

It seems like nowdays the Government has complete control over every aspect of our life. My wife is a beautician, and has to have a license and get recertified every 2 years just to CUT HAIR.
LEAVE US ALONE!
Welcome to the Land of the FREE and the BRAVE. (hope I can say that without violating any Law)

a Georgia DNR officer told me any thing found in the water belongs to the state.

So... let me get this straight.

Im on a boat in Georgia.
My glasses fall off my head into the water.
I dive in after them but they hit the water before I can catch them.
I swim to the bottom and get them.
They are now property of the state of Georgia?

Right.
Id like to see the law saying that.
It sounds to me like that officer is full of false information.

Can someone please tell me what these laws have accomplished? As far as i can tell these laws say is "if you do this you will be punished.if you do that you will be punished" People are still hoarding artifacts, probably more now then ever. If you read these laws who in their right mind would report anything of value? Maybe someday these archeologists will get off their high horses and realize its better to have the people working with you

Well, just my opinion but

If someone drops the "BIG ONE" due to a breakdown of law and order (or "civilization" if you prefer), you may be better off scuba diving.

Consider the case of "Hajime Iwanaga" who survived the bombing of Nagasaki by being underwater. He lived to tell his tale but his friends on the shore did not.

So dive often, dive deep !

I personally find this a hard pill to swallow. I grew up in Michigan where it is a felony to remove artifacts from the shipwrecks found on Michigan bottomlands. I was taught to take only pictures, leave only bubbles very early in my diving career, and it’s something I carry with me today. Granted, Great Lakes shipwrecks have never contained much in the way of treasure, but up there we consider the shipwreck itself the treasure.

What sticks in my craw when it comes to treasure hunting is that the shipwreck is considered worthless junk in the way of the treasure hunter’s precious treasure. I attended presentation by Della Ireton-Scott, an archaeologist with the Florida Public Archaeology Network (which is designed to work with and bring archaeology to the public, by the way), where she showed some before and after pictures of a Spanish shipwreck from either the 1715 or 1733 fleet (the name eludes me at the moment) in the Keys that was found and “salvaged” back in the 50s or 60s. Her before picture was taken from a book written about treasure hunting in the Keys and it showed massive hull timbers protruding from a large stone ballast pile. The caption read something along the lines of “tearing into the ballast pile in search of the treasure.” And then she showed a picture of what’s left of that same shipwreck today – virtually nothing. You can barely make out the keel. The portion of the shipwreck that had been preserved by the ballast pile for several hundred years now only took 30 or 40 years to deteriorate once exposed by the treasure hunters. What did they find you ask? Very little: the Spanish salvaged most of the treasure shortly after it sank. What was once a priceless relic that belonged to the people of Florida has been reduced to a few rotten timbers lying on the ocean floor. What about the Atocha? How much of that shipwreck is left after the Fishers have been blasting away at it with their mailboxes for over 25 years? Last I checked nobody is making these shipwrecks anymore. Oh, and here is my favorite. The drive through the Keys is dotted with deteriorating cannons along the roadside. I bet they looked great the first ten or so years, but now without any sort of conservation they are falling apart. However, if they had been left in place on the shipwreck they would have been preserved for another several hundred years. Now if I see cannons on any of these shipwrecks they are most likely replica cannons made of concrete provided by the State of Florida in effort to undo what was done by unchecked treasure hunting.

I sincerely hope that, if measures are passed to open up more treasure hunting in Florida it is done so in a smart manner. I’m confident that Florida won’t just hand out permits to every diver with dollar signs in their eyes and homemade mailboxes on their boat, but there needs to be a certain amount of training and oversight involved in the salvage process so that priceless shipwrecks do not get destroyed in pursuit of the almighty dollar. However, the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research is not staffed (or funded) to do any of that, and, as money strapped as Florida is, I don’t see that changing anytime soon. As a Florida resident and avid diver, the mere thought of going back to the old ways of treasure hunting gravely concerns me, and I’m certain I’m not the only one who feels this way.

I personally find this a hard pill to swallow. I grew up in Michigan where it is a felony to remove artifacts from the shipwrecks found on Michigan bottomlands. I was taught to take only pictures, leave only bubbles very early in my diving career, and it’s something I carry with me today. Granted, Great Lakes shipwrecks have never contained much in the way of treasure, but up there we consider the shipwreck itself the treasure.

What sticks in my craw when it comes to treasure hunting is that the shipwreck is considered worthless junk in the way of the treasure hunter’s precious treasure. I attended presentation by Della Ireton-Scott, an archaeologist with the Florida Public Archaeology Network (which is designed to work with and bring archaeology to the public, by the way), where she showed some before and after pictures of a Spanish shipwreck from either the 1715 or 1733 fleet (the name eludes me at the moment) in the Keys that was found and “salvaged” back in the 50s or 60s. Her before picture was taken from a book written about treasure hunting in the Keys and it showed massive hull timbers protruding from a large stone ballast pile. The caption read something along the lines of “tearing into the ballast pile in search of the treasure.” And then she showed a picture of what’s left of that same shipwreck today – virtually nothing. You can barely make out the keel. The portion of the shipwreck that had been preserved by the ballast pile for several hundred years now only took 30 or 40 years to deteriorate once exposed by the treasure hunters. What did they find you ask? Very little: the Spanish salvaged most of the treasure shortly after it sank. What was once a priceless relic that belonged to the people of Florida has been reduced to a few rotten timbers lying on the ocean floor. What about the Atocha? How much of that shipwreck is left after the Fishers have been blasting away at it with their mailboxes for over 25 years? Last I checked nobody is making these shipwrecks anymore. Oh, and here is my favorite. The drive through the Keys is dotted with deteriorating cannons along the roadside. I bet they looked great the first ten or so years, but now without any sort of conservation they are falling apart. However, if they had been left in place on the shipwreck they would have been preserved for another several hundred years. Now if I see cannons on any of these shipwrecks they are most likely replica cannons made of concrete provided by the State of Florida in effort to undo what was done by unchecked treasure hunting.

I sincerely hope that, if measures are passed to open up more treasure hunting in Florida it is done so in a smart manner. I’m confident that Florida won’t just hand out permits to every diver with dollar signs in their eyes and homemade mailboxes on their boat, but there needs to be a certain amount of training and oversight involved in the salvage process so that priceless shipwrecks do not get destroyed in pursuit of the almighty dollar. However, the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research is not staffed (or funded) to do any of that, and, as money strapped as Florida is, I don’t see that changing anytime soon. As a Florida resident and avid diver, the mere thought of going back to the old ways of treasure hunting gravely concerns me, and I’m certain I’m not the only one who feels this way.
Well I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if I don't agree with them. I am glad that they are out there swimming around and willing to leave all the treasures for me.:eyebrow:
Just out of curiousity to you know of any actual wrecks that were discovered by archaeologists and not by THers?
ZDD

Just out of curiousity to you know of any actual wrecks that were discovered by archaeologists and not by THers?
ZDD

Do you honestly believe that every discovered shipwreck out there was originally discovered by treasure hunters? Here's some for you: the Emanuel Point shipwrecks in Pensacola Bay. They are two of Tristan de Luna's fleet of seven vessel that were sunk by a hurricane in 1559. The first one was discovered by the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research and the other by the University of West Florida. But these examples probably don't matter to you anyway since they weren't carrying treasure -- de Luna was attempting to establish a colony at present day Pensacola. If you want some more look at the NOAA sanctuary in Alpena, MI and all of the shipwrecks they have found, or even Dave Trotter, the most prolific shipwreck hunter in the Great Lakes.

Unfortunately, underwater archaeology did not exist at the time of Florida's "golden age" of treasure hunting, and, therefore, most of the known treasure ships were located by treasure hunters and subsequently salvaged (usually with disastrous results to the ship itself). Honestly, I would rather have a shipwreck remain undiscovered than have it located by a treasure hunter.

Sooooo, you would rather have something continue rotting and decaying until nothing is left instead of someone finding it who might make a profit from the venture?

It's the treasure hunters who lead the archeologists to all the great sites, not the other way around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom