Underwater metal detecting dead in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LM:
As an aside, there are green chutes of an active movement amongst the treasure hunting community to start undoing some of this bull**** and allowing people to chase their rainbows, as they please... Stay tuned.
Please share more. I would love to help them succeed.

These laws just DON'T make sense and are senseless.

Mike I have a license and just finished my 4th quarter report.

What I have found is there are a LOT of divers in SC that fear their finds are going to be taken away from them. They need to learn that the purpose is documentation and education.

If you get caught without the license, I was told the fee is $50. On top of that they likely to "take" your finds.

Mike, do you know anything about the "Low Country Fossil Club"?

Please share more. I would love to help them succeed.

These laws just DON'T make sense and are senseless.

Definitely.
It's all in the 'rumblings' stage right now, but Capt. Dominic Addario and a few others are in the process of getting people together to spearhead the thing and start lobbying our state legislators (I'm in Chicago right now, but a FL native). The issue has been completely commandeered by a few archeologists in Tallahassee, in spite of the fact that public sentiment would probably be hugely on our side...

Naturally, divers are our allies in stepping up to help save treasure hunting in Florida. Our interests are so synergistic and overlap in many ways- if for no other reason than treasure hunters and divers are people with that great 'explorer' gene that's been moving mankind forward since time immemorial and we tend to take exception to seeing our free-spirited brothers pointlessly fenced in by academic-ideologues in state funded cubicles.

I'm probably going to develop an advocacy site to help the treasure hunters organize and get their message out- I picked up a few very strong domain names from the drops over 2010 that relate to this area- TreasureSalvage.com, HistoricSalvage.com, Salvors.org- you get the idea... I'm leaning towards Salvors.org, although names like "TheTreasureHunt.org" probably resonate a bit stronger with John Q Public.

Here's a thread on Treasurenet where I rant and rave like a lunatic on this matter. I've never been accused of being succinct :wink:

Messages are being exchanged, a game plan is being formulated. Like I said- still very much 'green chutes', but I do expect something meaningful to come from this and those guys are hugely credible on this stuff. There are guys there who dove for Fisher on the Atocha, etc... and you can bet your ass that when things enter an actionable stage, the Florida diving community will be the very first group we appeal to for help by way of making phone calls, writing letters and arranging meetings with state reps to advocate for saving treasure hunting in Florida.

No im not saying reefs are the only thing thats killing our world.But were losing them.The goverment is just making rules to satify themselves.It like everything else in this world that starts somewhere in life with a idea. Like you cant ware a hat in the cathoilic church but then you have the jewish people ware a hat and the arabs wear a turban. Thats not what should be important. Its the fact that we should work together.You cant have people just ripping up everything thats underwater. Now the goverment should set rules like they do with everything else that makes them happy. Like they do with everything else they do.But do it right when it comes to making rules.Put some thought into it. We could fish for free years ago. But now you have to pay a fee.The goverment has allways stroked us in more ways than one.They take our money ,then set fees on top of that. How much of my pay check do i get? People in other areas,doing other things are complaining also. The goverment messed up alot of things. They put their pants on the same way as everyone else.Look at the mess were in now this world. But yet you see big pay raises in the goverment. Their rasies are more than i make in a year.When it comes to money,which makes their world go round. If they can put some in their pocket,they will.All this bull has to stop. I feel bad for our kids furture. Just look at the last 100 years and how far we have come as far as global warming. I bet you our kids are not going to be around much longer after another 100 years.Everyone is fighting and unhappy over our goverments rule. We should be able to do this or we should be able to do that.What are the things we should be able to do. What should big companys be able to do?Theirs so many things out their that people want to do.If we let people just do what they want[which most do anyway] things would be really messed up. So we do need rules. But stick to these rules and stop greasing our goverments pockets.Not everything is fair,when we want to do someting. But why cant things be worked out.I use to dive for shellfish in my town. I did this for 5 years. I was making over 120 dollars an hour. Then the town made a by law because of safety with boaters. Yet you can dive for someones watch[Which isnt the same]. After 5 years this was my livily hood. It wasnt the safety issue but that people were jellious and that i was taking all the shellfish. Yet i wasnt digging up or distroying the bottom. In fact i was cleaning it up from mornings,and lost crap. Now the town could have just said no diving in the channel,or durning these months no diving. We could have worked together for something that could have made us both happy. But no, they want it their way or no way at all. Well just look at their way. Look at the way they handle money. The more they get,the worst things are.We do need some kind of rules,and maybe a fee so we can look into these areas were going into. Then we can make good decitions and go about doing this the right way.We have open the goverments eyes about treasure hunting. They want it left their so in time they can get it with their own set of rules.They will give grants to people and say in the grant that any moneys found goes to them or the state.But your right. We cant do anything anymore. The goverment messes up things that were interested in. They tax it to death. You fish. you need to pay a fee. Then taxes on everything else you buy to go fishing with. They take all our money so we cant do our hobbies. After we do find something to do, we cant do it because we dont have a job or cant find a job. Then theirs nothing we can do for a hobbie anymore, with out rules and paying more money. Were getting brain washed. What ever happen to the kid that played with the stick in the back yard who dug a hole. Thats gone! Now were brain washed and have computers,rules and think were so smart.Were so smart ,that we cant get along and do something right.I sit home and say to the wife. What do you want to do tonight. She will say theirs nothing to do. Then we find something to do like metal detecting. And because people are fighting over treasure,thats now messed up things for the little guy on the beach up to his knees in the water.Why cant we just think about this,make rules that would work for everyone. Instead of not thinking about this for awhile. They just say no treasure hunting. Do a little research on this. Isnt that why we give people grant money for? So they can study all kinds of areas and tell us the right way to go about this.If the goverment cant run their own kitchen,then stay out of ours. If they did everything righIf they make rules,how will the goverment get around their own rules. Then i wouldnt be so mad. But their are running around with their gun 1/2cocked all the time. Nobodys happy with what they do. Their not a honest crook amoung them!!!! All they have to do is word things differently,and then they can get away with whatever they are doing. What a mess our goverment is doing with our lives. But why worry. Their pockets are full. We find out what one goverment guy is doing to fill his pockets up when his buddy gets jellious because he isnt getting his cut and turns him in.We all can go on and on about this. Theirs so much thats wrong here. But do you think we can do anything about it. No Not unless we can get enought people together,which will never happen.We need someone who is very smart with words and can get people to ralley for change or a over hall. They just caught a guy who was thje head of hiring people in our probation departments in our courts. He only hired family who hired their family and so on. You wouldnt believe how many people got hired that were friends and family. Thousands !! Thats what were up against. That and money.God bless america. If god were blessing america. It wouldnt be like this.It would be fair.Am i done yet. Hell no. But good luck

Mike I have a license and just finished my 4th quarter report.

What I have found is there are a LOT of divers in SC that fear their finds are going to be taken away from them. They need to learn that the purpose is documentation and education.

If you get caught without the license, I was told the fee is $50. On top of that they likely to "take" your finds.

Mike, do you know anything about the "Low Country Fossil Club"?

Yea, I just got my 4th quarter email a few days back. I am not familiar with LCFC. I tell ya this much Lee, I am getting tired of this cold weather!!! I am going through dive withdraws here! lol Actually, I have two new Penatrator 220 lights coming in and I wanted to upgrade my side lights on my helmet so I guess this is not all that bad,lol

Last edited:
Farnkie..... Baby, take a breath man. You can't fight city hall, you can join them and spen a life time trying to make a differance, or you can just work around the problem and get on with enjoying life.
Oh and by the way that was about the best rant I think I ever came across, I really liked reading it.
ZDD

you can just work around the problem and get on with enjoying life.
ZDD

Thats the quote of the day. (above)

In my opnion treasure hunters will continue their hunts. No law or laws will stop them from fanning the sands/blowing the sands or metal detecting. All these laws do is permote the hording of artifacts because people are to afraid to came foward with their finds.

Not to mention the country is broke and no State has the funding for the manpower necessary to find scuba divers fanning the sand.

Farnkie..... Baby, take a breath man. You can't fight city hall, you can join them and spen a life time trying to make a differance, or you can just work around the problem and get on with enjoying life.
Oh and by the way that was about the best rant I think I ever came across, I really liked reading it.
ZDD

I was not going to read all that but you made it sound so good I did read it.

Hello Mike,

I have an old Dive Rite. Amazing how exciting one can get over an expensive flashlight.

I perused the Penetrator. Looks like a GOOD one.

Mine is an old model of this one. I recently purchased a new bulb for it ($125)

Dive Rite Canister Light

Actually, I have two new Penatrator 220 lights coming in

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom