Underwater Navigation Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I WANT ONE. as a hunter, i often walk miles and miles of marked and unmarked trails in the off season marking tree locations for posting the next season ... i mark these in my handheld gps for easier finding in the immense changes in foliage from one season to the next, it also becomes very helpful in dark circumstances (when everything looks all that more different).

only problem (for the consumer) as mentioned time and time again - - - is cost

I don't know the how's and such but I just watched a special about the SDV (SEAL Deliver Vehicle). It's a 22' sub used to covertly get Navy Seals to a designated point. They mentioned very briefly that it uses sonar for obstacle avoidance and "a doppler system that lets them know where they are in the world." Not sure how a doppler (radar I'm guessing) would do that but obviously they have some sort of underwater navigation figured out.

From what i understand any form of navigation like this they have to run up a float with an antennae on it to get a signal.

i'm working also on such a product, i'm in the prototyping phase,
the device doesn't need any GPS input or any ultrasonic, or what ever receivers.

it's based on the inertial of the diver only.
the system is accurate enough to estimate to position of the diver within 1meter

it also work in current environment , it estimates also the current speed, direction

all this is based on a very old mathematical formula, which has been used in navy, aircraft, military, etc, and now it is coming to the public.

plenty of chipset are available, however the end user price is in the range of 1000 USD, which will not make any good business plan for recreational divers.

but following the prices curves, this will end up quickly to 200-300$ in a year from now.

if you are interested by such a subject, we can share our experience, and why not work together on this project.

kacem

Will it work with split fins?

You need to show up at DEMA. That's where several unlikely ideas became reality.

i'm working also on such a product, i'm in the prototyping phase,
the device doesn't need any GPS input or any ultrasonic, or what ever receivers.

it's based on the inertial of the diver only.
the system is accurate enough to estimate to position of the diver within 1meter

it also work in current environment , it estimates also the current speed, direction

all this is based on a very old mathematical formula, which has been used in navy, aircraft, military, etc, and now it is coming to the public.

kacem

Does it use some type of micro-gyroscopic device to sense movement?

Yes it uses an IMU Device with 6 Degree of Freedom (DOF) which includes
3 Accelerometer Axis sensor
3 Gyro Axis sensor
3 Magnetometer Axis sensor

kacem

Back
Top Bottom