Underwater web camera at WhyteCliff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapitanBlack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just wonder how expensive could be installation of an underwater web camera in WhyteCliff bay for example? It might automatically upload pics on web/ftp site - so, everyone would have the most current viz report and see some wildlife. Who can sponsor that?

Just an idea...

Interesting idea. I'm sure it would be very popular around here. I wonder what would be the ideal depth to place it... 30 feet or so? - under the crap but still applicable to OW divers.

I suspect it will be difficult to power the camera as the Parks people probably won't be keen on having you run cables and batteries won't last long in the cold.

I think the ideal place could be somewhere around the lighthouse's foundation...

1. It's not deep
2. Very interesting area - kelp, fish, seals, etc..

There should be no cables. I doubt that it's possible to get a permission for drawing power from lighthouse, but maybe it's possible to attach a small solar panel+antenna to it? I also doubt, if there a public WiFi available, but maybe 3G network will work...

Some highly visible yellow markers should be placed in the camera's view zone at 5, 10, 15, 30ft distance. This is how to determine current viz...

For (relatively) real-time telemetry, the logistics and costs would be virtually insurmountable, but above all else, you'd have to contend with dipshi*ts stealing the gear.

Having said that, if you could find someone that lived near the park, on the water, with private shoreline/dock and was relatively close to the water, it'd be doable for sure.

There are uw web cameras in few places around the world - I just wonder if Whytecliff could be another one... How much costs the Bonaire uw webcam project for example?

If it will be installed below the lighthouse - only divers would be able reaching it. I do not want to believe that any of us could steal something like that...

I want a camera at Kelvin Grove, Ansil and Porteau also :wink:

I have not personally checked these sites out, just passing the info forward from lake fishing friends who use the webcams frequently.These may assist you in finding out what they use for power, securing and security issues.
www.hancockwildlife.org
wwwkidsinthenestcom.ning.com
Surrey Lake Fishing Resort - Kamloops BC, fly fishing and trolling for trout, cabin, boat and motor rentals
Douglas Lake Ranch
Tunkwa Lake Resort - Tue. May 4, 2010

****surrey lake is I think more north east
****the kids in the nest one is acting up lately...I'm not to sure what other cam stuff I have but I'll look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom