Underwhelmed by Oahu Dive Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really sorry to hear that! Glad that you had a good time overall in your trip. While we all have bad days and businesses are hurting right now, I think it has to be said, IMHO, that this experience goes beyond that. Things don't always go right every day for everyone, but to me the most telling part of this story is the attitude of those that were involved. Times are tough and those with that kind of attitude towards their customers don't deserve to be in business! Nice goes a long way to smoothing over other incompetentcies as business is getting its sea legs!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please be advised that Diamond Head Divers have been invited to participate in this thread.

Last edited:
Man,

Bummer to hear about the bad outing. I think that there is an overall lack of enthusiasm in the biz lately..... you won't seem me bumming! I say, if you aren't having fun on the boats, you shouldn't be in the dive world!

See you out on the water....

G

Never a dull moment with Gabe around!

With so many great ops on the Island, sorry to hear about the bad experience.

Please be advised that Diamond Head Divers have been invited to participate in this thread.

There are two sides to every story. It'll be interesting to hear the other side. :coffee:

OP - Thanks for the dive report!

jcf

///

I can understand having a bad dive on oahu. I tried Oahudiving.com (and I live here too...what a shame I didn't know what I was getting into) because they had the best rate for a discover dive for a buddy of mine. I spent the drive from Kewalo Harbor to Hooters apologizing profusely for going with them. I won't gripe here, but PM me and I will tell you all about it.

So yes, even with the competition around here, some dive ops can suck. Natural selection will eventually take it's course.

Peace,
Greg

Just got back from Oahu my self. Went out with Reef Trekkers Dove on the Sea tiger...good dive nice time. The dive master let me do my thing so we got along real well. Aqua Zone, dove on the F4 Corsair. The Dive master was super knowledgeable and an overall outstanding professional. But failed to recognize that I was and am "NOT" a beginner. I figured she was young and new at the dive leader roll and needed that control. I rolled with it.... but it did take away from my fun with my daughter. Found Island Divers....Had a great time....OUTSTANDING Operation. Laid back but very professional, just the way I like it. The primary dive boat the 50' Sea Fox that is docked right out side the store was a comfortable dive platform. Will go back out with them again.

I Want to add that the dive masters that do well are the ones that do not smother experienced divers. "Don't touch my $#!+" I should only have to say it once! I trust no one with my kit. I run a dive charter so I know what it is like. I know you don't know Snuffy who says he's a master diver... So watch him if he gives you pause. Oahu???? It is a swimming pool on steroids. I know the conditions can deteriorate in a heart beat and I don't underestimate the dangers ever. But that is why I will tip you to stay out of my way. My buddy (my daughter) will check me out and I her. I have traind her so I know that she knows what to expect from me and I from her.

Over all the diving was pleasant but HIGHLY overrated.

I just returned from a fantastic 8 day trip to Hawaii. The final island stop on the trip was Oahu. Based on recommendations, I choose to dive with Diamond Head Divers while in Waikiki. Boy was that a bad decision. Everything from the moment I stepped foot on the dock had me completely underwhelmed with this dive operation.

Firstly, the crew seemed to be inconvenienced taking divers out. Upon arriving at the boat, we were made to feel as if we were a burden to the crew. No introductions were made and no instructions regarding the boat/gear/procedures were given.

Secondly, when I inquired as to where we would be diving, I received a half-hearted "Dunno" response. When I suggested making a wreck dive, like the YO-257, the sarcastic, but completely serious, comment "You're gonna make me go there?" took me by surprise. Needless to say, I felt that I was putting out the crew by suggesting a dive site. (We ultimately did end up diving there due to a lack of other suggestions.)

Finally, I was specifically bothered by the fact that the DM tried a few times to have me take a 63 cu ft tank in lieu of a 80 cu ft for the first dive (our deep dive!). At first, I joked with the DM that they were passing off a 'pony tank' charging me the same price as a 80 cu ft tank. But he tried two more times to have me take this tank. Refusing to take the tank, the DM commented that he'll have to take the tank. I personally took offense to the fact that they thought because i'm a smaller female diver that they could try to pass this tank off on me.

I'm not a dive novice nor am I a 1000+ seasoned dive professional but i've been on my fair share of dive boats and dive trips. This, by far, was the most underwhelming experience I've had on any of my dive excursions. They were unhelpful, lacked knowledge about dive sites and marine life and generally seemed disinterested in the diving.

The dive site briefings were anything but informative. In fact, I had no idea that there was another wreck about 50 yards away from the YO-257 until the DM decided to guide us over there about 5 minutes before the end of the dive! Back on the boat, I asked the DM and boat captain about marine life I had seen on the dive. The DM was clueless and the boat captain seemed totally uninterested almost bothered by my questions.

After the first dive, my dive buddy and I agreed we'd find another dive op for our other diving days as soon as we hit dry land. We choose to dive with Aqua Zone in lieu of Diamond Head Divers.

Needless to say, I would not recommend this dive op if you plan on diving on Oahu/Waikiki area.

Aloha Bubblin_Girl,

This is Captain Mike, I'm terribly dismayed to hear that you had a bad time diving with us. Yours is honestly the first real complaint I've had to deal with in the 4 years that I've been running Diamond Head Divers, I've worked very hard to not be the kind of dive operation that leaves anyone with anything other than happy memories. I'm truly sorry that we missed the boat with you. I know that apologies after the fact offer little solace and are generally meaningless but hopefully you can accept mine as being sincere.

If you didn't receive an adequate boat safety and dive briefing, the DM in question may soon be filling out applications at Burger King. You absolutely should have been given the layout of the boat and the location of all the comfort and safety gear and procedures as required by Coast Guard regulations. I suppose that I allow the DM's a little too much autonomy in that department and for what it's worth, it won't ever happen again.

As for the dive site choices, I did have a specific plan for the day to accommodate our schedule and the other divers on board. Accommodating the request for the YO-257 didn't fit the schedule and I had to postpone my afternoon charter schedule for it, hence the "ug, your gonna make me go there" comment (intended in jest but apparently I'm not funny). My running joke with the DM's is to not tell them where we are going ahead of time so he really didn't know where we were going (I usually tell them "diving" when they ask where we are going first thing in the morning). There really is a little method to the madness as it's generally prudent to wait until everyone is there before announcing the planned dive site , in case there are repeat customers or special requests like yours.

As for the tank business, a lot of women like the smaller tanks because of the size. Regardless, you should not have been asked more than once.

My duties as the Captain of the boat don't allow a lot of time to interact with customers and be the life of the party (that's what the DM is supposed to be for). Unfortunately, the Coast Guard won't allow me to dive with you so I can't comment on the marine life you saw on the dive without seeing pictures.

I'm glad our screw up didn't sour your vacation and that you were able to find another dive operator that made you happy.

Mahalo,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom