Unreliable Layang Layang Resort Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't there someway to salvage this trip?
If you got to KK, could you have found another resort during that time like Sagalaki?

Sangalaki is in Indonesia. Layang2 in East Malaysia, close but far.

I am planning to dive in Sangalaki and am checking now. If you are going to Sangalaki, you do not need to fly to KK. There is only one flight in/out of Sangalaki.

Only 1 to 2 flight per day to Layang2, not daily, depending on volume. The flight is so call "run" by Layang2 and Layang2 "belong to Mr M son's company. I must say, it is well run but not too sure how long it take for them to recover the investment.

I am very sorry to hear of your misadventure with your diving holiday. I believe Shanhai is right about taking your grouses to Air Asia. They have had this "no refund" policy for some time now & this is due to the very low fares that they offer. The dive shop should've negotiated a postponement of the holiday & requested Layang Layang Resort to absorb the one night fares instead of making you pay for it. In this instance, Air Asia has got no inclination that your connecting flight to Layang would be cancelled. Contrary to what Peter Lim has said, Layang Resort has got no say to the private jet plying the KK - Layang route. They are a separate operator & hence, they also charge an arm & leg.

Should you have any other complaints, suggestions or anything at all, I would appreciate if you could write to the Malaysian Sport Diving Association at msda@time.net.my addressing your concerns about the industry so that we could forward it to the parties concerned. We appreciate feedback so that we can improve the diving industry & make everyone's diving holiday a pleasant if not fantastic one.

If you would like to join us for diving, we are most glad to include you in our mailing list. We are very conservation minded & do not allow spearfishing on our trips. Hope you have a better experience the next time around.

phyllidia once bubbled...
Contrary to what Peter Lim has said, Layang Resort has got no say to the private jet plying the KK - Layang route. They are a separate operator & hence, they also charge an arm & leg.

Ya, Ya, Ya; left pocket and right pocket. Who would want to run a show without profit?

cct should had gotten a dive and travel insurance and should be aware of Air Asia policy. Since he had canceled the travel; Air Asia would not need to refund him. BTW, if a booking is done with full payment, why should the operator cancel the booking? If we, the end-users had canceled the booking, we will need to forfeit a certain amount, who is protecting us?

cct should clarify with the operator and as a goodwill Layang Lanyang should had offer him a night extension without charge.

Unless Layang2 Resort owns the airline that flies the KK-Layang2 route, why should they have to compensate CCT to cancelled flights? I could be wrong but Layang2 Resort may not have that much say in the business decisions of a private airline. I think the resort did a decent thing to give you a full refund.

Next time, either buy travel insurance or shell out for cancelable tickets. Sometimes traveling "on the cheap" is not the least expensive way to go.

Hi Zippsy,

Do you know that when you book your stay at Layang Layang, they will arrange the stay, dive and the flight from KK to the island? The price you book will be inclusive of all this events via the one and only travel agent.

The flight is at about 6am from KK to Layang Layang, once and sometime twice depend on volume, furthermore, not a daily flight.

So do you think there is some kind of arrangement between the two entities? Somehow the management of Layang Layang resort had the “take it or leave it” attitude.

I had a great time at Layang Layang and had planned to return; certainly I am not the only diver who felt the “unfriendliness” as compare to elsewhere.

Firtsly Layang resort and the airline (KK-LL) are pretty much reliant on each other there is only one way to get there and one thing (mainly) to do when you are there. As for being able to run a regular air service, this place is miles form anywhere its not boeings, they are small twin engined propeller aircraft. I would take there word for it, if the plane cant fly, then thats it, i thought there was something in the booking about this.

your booking was made through your travel agent in KL so presume they put the package togehter not LL. And they should be the ones responsible not LL, if not for booking the package but for not advising you corectly. I would suggest that buying a low cost (non refundable) ticket when going diving to this kind of place, is not always the best soluition. What if you couldn't get back in time???

At the end of the day we are talking about a US$900 dive package and a US$100 airticket, buy the better ticket in future and then dont worry about things like this, or insurance.

I found LL stafff very helpful, flexible and an excellent dive location.

As for no contingency plan, Sipadan isnt far from KK at all, or Lankayan, there are lots of options

Some comments on AA:

Took 2 flights out of KL to KK and Tawau. All of the flights were not on time. One booked flight to KK got cancelled and I had to wait 4 hours to get on the next one without any arrangement where to spent the time. Then I had to change my return schedule due to late arrival. Over the phone, the chap at AA strictly refused to do the change of schedule for free, although caused by the airline. Only after asking for his name and dropping that I'll see Mr. Fernandes himself, he reluctantly changed.

The airline is cheap - but you get wat u pay 4: no inflight service (they even charge for a small bottle of water 4.-MYR), smallest legroom I ever experienced, very stiff refund policy.

For long flights and connection to international flights not recommended.
:upset:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom