Unsafe Diving on the Caribbean Explorer II??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we never push ourselves past our personal limits we won't get anywhere. We have all had to do it at one point or another and no matter what anyone says we really don't know if we are ready until we actually try. The thing to think about is how big is that step going to be when we take it.

With all your stated experience you should have picked up on a few things that have already been said a few times. Sounds to me that the Mrs had lots of air for going up the line from 85'. When the DM took her away from the line where was she headed, maybe she was planning on doing half max depth for 1 minute before the safety stop and just didn't want to hang at the line. Why not watch your depth and time and swim around and enjoy the dive, it's much more interesting that way. Maybe she was actually planing on heading up very slowly while looking around? What was the Mrs remaining psi when you got back on the boat? If you are as experienced as you say you should have this written down some where, if not you then your wife certainly should. 600 psi remaining when you are on the line and heading up from a no deco dive is not cause for alarm, you should know this with your experience.

I would look at this as a learning experience for both of you. Next time you'll think more about the dive and it's requirements and probably be even better divers for it.

Dive safe
:D

Your wife should have known it because she was just certified and there was almost certainly a "maximum depth" question either in a quiz or on the written exam.

Terry

To their defense, I never got taught about the maximum 60 foot depth in my OW class. I learned about it after being turned away from a shop when enquiring about diving a wreck at 90 feet. "oh right...OW certified, not allowed to dive deeper than 60 feet unless I have dove past 60 feet in the last 3 months or 6 months or whatever it was ...right, I remember....wink wink"

Then again, I was tought back in the day on j and k valves and the dive tables offered more no-deco time, too. Might explain why divedeepr (20 years ago certified) would not have known either?

Wow everyone on here is awesome, we really appreciate your advice and cooments. Just to coplete the stas on my wife's air supply....wife surfaced with 500 lbs, but this is only because she air-shared with the DM on the way up from 85 feet. Otherwise she would have been 200 lbs or less IMO..a little too close for comfort for me.

In training you learned to dive your limits. A open water max depth level is only 60 feet. Why did you plan a dive deeper than your trained for. If you would have had an advanced training level, you and your wife would know what it feels like for planning deep diving and would have know air consumption for that type of diving.

When diving and something does feel right. Call the dive. (rule number 1)
And please stay close to your buddy when diving. If your wife ran out of air, could she swim the 40 feet that you where apart if out of air.

In training you learned to dive your limits. A open water max depth level is only 60 feet. Why did you plan a dive deeper than your trained for. If you would have had an advanced training level, you and your wife would know what it feels like for planning deep diving and would have know air consumption for that type of diving.

When diving and something does feel right. Call the dive. (rule number 1)
And please stay close to your buddy when diving. If your wife ran out of air, could she swim the 40 feet that you where apart if out of air.

Remember (please note this is not just a response to aHeavyD) according to the OP the DM had stated She would buddy with the wife. Deepdiver was NOT 40 feet from his buddy as he was not his wife's buddy on the dive (and others where the DM had buddied with the wife).

Some people seem to think just because you dive at the same time as your wife or husband you are their buddy. I confess I PREFER to buddy with my husband but sometimes we buddy with others. Sometimes he would rather buddy with someone else cause he "worries" about me more which I suppose are natural protective feelings. I know some husband/wife combinations that NEVER buddy. I personally see that as a bit sad but certainly their right to their choice.

I am responsible for my own choices about diving it is NOT my husband's responsibility/right to dictate to me about when, where, how I chose to dive. His imput is valued, listened to and respected.... the decision and responsibility are mine!

I am impressed by the fact the OP seems to be accepting the feedback others are giving in this thread and accepting that everyone involved had to share responsibility for their mistakes. There certainly is enough to go around!

Thank you for a good thread with plenty of great posts that have made me think of ways I can improve my own attitudes and decision making processes.:blinking:

Sorry, Tvictory, but that's not correct.......there is a red mooring on the Third Encounter dive site.....

Sorry, Tvictory, but that's not correct.......there is a red mooring on the Third Encounter dive site.....

Actually there is both a Red and a White mooring on Third Encounter.

I understand to some extent where your coming from, you paid a great deal of money to be on that liveaboard and to have guides to make sure you get the bang for your buck on each dive.

Now with that said I think that anytime a diver has concerns about any aspect of a dive they need to fully express that to the DM or whomever is in charge of that dive, we are not a species of mind readers.
The choice to dive was you and your wifes not the DM's, and the DM is not your lifeguard unless you paid for that kind of service.

First off I'm just glad you both are alright and actually having said that it probably made you AND your wife much better divers and gave you some practice with sharing air. I personally wouldn't have been sharing air until your wife was down to about 200psi, believe it or not 500psi is alot of air - true they want you back to the boat with 500psi but the reason for that precaution is to use it if you absolutely need it.

I remember when I was open water certified and on my fourth dive ever and in Cozumel we did a wall dive that was told to hit a max of 80ft which was alot for me and my friend, but they took us to 100ft. We did just fine aside from being amazed at how fast air gets consumed at depth. All dives have a plan and we need to make sure we stick to it, but often times in groups that's tougher to do for the divemaster especially - as long as we keep that in the back of our minds we'll all be better off. Hope you and your wife keep doing liveaboards, I can't wait to do my first one in Kona on the Kona Aggressor this summer!

no offense, and I'm not trying to play the blame game, but end of the story is if you don't feel comfortable don't do it. You have to be comfortable enough with your open water training or perhaps a live aboard is not appropriate...

I agree, we are responsible for own actions. I have been on this trip, and have nothing to say except that the crew, trip, safety practices, and food was fantastic.

The trip was too much for the current abilities described. Next time research the trip/diving better. Do your own research.

The Eye of The Needle is to this day still one of my favorite dives... ever. I,ve been diving a 63 tank for years.

Back
Top Bottom