• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Unusual Things That You've Found

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Capt. T. Goetz, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Capt. T. Goetz

Capt. T. Goetz Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
  2. herr2720

herr2720 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    A set of Mormon garments.

3. sagesign

sagesign Registered

This was by far my most unusual. We're always "hunting" for treasure in our local lakes. Sometimes the bottom is hard, but most of the time there is a fair amount of silt, sometimes feet of it. On our way back to the boat we basically have our hands buried in it just hoping to grab something. I never even saw this until I pulled it out of the silt to see what I had. 20201127_182347.jpg 20201127_182445.jpg

4. Capt. T. Goetz

Capt. T. Goetz Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Wow i truly wonder how that got there, how deep do you think it was located? <TG>

5. sagesign

sagesign Registered

Would really like to know myself! Probably 20'-25' deep and maybe 200'-250' from shore and million dollar homes.

Capt. T. Goetz likes this.
  6. CT-Rich

CT-Rich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

He might have been dropped by a Roc flying him back to it’s nest to feed it’s chicks. If it is an artificial lake, it might predate the dam. Last, dead things can float for quite a while...

In any case, a pretty cool dive trophy...

7. sagesign

sagesign Registered

Had no idea what a Roc was, learned something new tonight! The lake is a natural lake.

8. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

What comprises a set of Mormon garments?

9. OTF

OTF Contributor

Could have been placed there as a (cruel) joke, but I imagine it more likely fell off the gunwale when someone was trying to microwave a freshly caught lobster on deck. Microwaving them alive is also cruel but people do it.

10. herr2720

herr2720 Solo Diver

Per the internet: Ritual, symbolic underwear that Mormons accept and wear as part of ‘going thru the temple’ and receiving their “endowment” and then wear for their lifetimes as a perpetual reminder of sacred covenants they make to their church and their god in the temple ritual.

Basically for men it's a set of white boxers that go past the knees and a white Tshirt with symbols over the nipples, navel and knee, for women it looks like a 1800s bathing suit also with the symbols. Both sets were just laid out in the silt at the bottom of the lake. I put them on the sunken lake mannequin the local divers like to dress up. Over the years it's worn a speedo, both sets of garments, a wedding dress, and finally a suit with a burlap bag tied over it's head until someone finally removed it.

OTF likes this.