Upgrade from GoPro Hero5 to RX100v or a6500?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I enjoy videoing my dives and have been using GoPros for years. However, I'm looking to upgrade for the following reasons:
1) While GoPro video looks good, I'd love even sharper video
2) I can't video or photo any macro subjects
3) Related to #2, there is no auto-focus so even with a diopter, it's really tough to do any macro on GoPro
4) Photos on GoPro are not sharp, and I'd like to be able to branch out into photos too
5) Due to lack of any zoom, shy subjects are tough to get close enough to for GoPro

What I like about the GoPro is the compact size – I like not having a massive rig and being able to clip it onto my BC and have both hands free when I just want to enjoy the dive. (ok, so that's pretty rare because I'm always on the lookout for a good shot... :)

I decided I didn't want to consider DSLR because of the size and expense, so that leaves high-end compact or mirrorless. After tons of research I think I've narrowed it down to the RX100v or a6500.

I have two main questions:
1) Once I buy all of the trays, strobes, wet lenses, etc. - is the difference in price even that big between these? It seems like it will end up being just a few hundred dollars.
2) Will the a6500 feel a lot more bulky than the RX100, or once the housing, tray, etc. is in place will they feel about the same?

I'm leaning towards the RX100v + Fantasea Housing for compactness and cost. But I don't want to regret the decision in a year or two especially if the difference in "all-in" price isn't that great. I'd appreciate any feedback from people who have used both.

Thank you so much!
Jeremy

Current Equipment:
- GoPro Hero5
- Backscatter red + macro filter
- Ultralight tray/arms
- BigBlue VL4000P video light

If interested, you can see my videos here:
Jeremy Haile

Last year, I was trying to pick between these two options (RX100 V vs A6300/A6500) and went with A6300. The size difference between the cameras, once you get them into a housing, add a tray, lights, wet lenses, etc, are negligible, and costs are similar as well, but since this is my only 'real' camera, I wanted a wider capability range on land - whereas the RX100 is restricted to 24-70mm equivalent, my A6300 covers 15mm to 300mm equivalent with just two lenses (SEL1018 and SEL182000LE), plus I can use a fisheye, or a fast prime, or a compact zoom when the situation calls for it.

On the other hand, RX100 V has has some features that A6300/A6500 lack, such as slow-motion video (up to 960fps), faster burst shooting with a deeper buffer (20fps vs 11fps), faster flash sync (A6xxx is limited to 1/160s), and its built-in lens is a little bit better than 16-50mm kit lens, which is the one you would use if you were to shoot A6xxx with wet lenses, for macro and wide-angle on the same dive.

Finally, both cameras have the same white-balance limitation, namely 9990K maximum color temperature. If you're heavily into video, Panasonic GH5, while larger and more expensive, has many video-centric features that Sony cameras lack.

True enough, although if you are primarily focused on video rather than stills, a used GH4 kit is another possible option. Otherwise, I'd go with RX100 V (or the recently announced Va) if the intent is to have a purely underwater camera and A6500 if it will be used on land as well as underwater.

Thanks for the advice and guidance! I definitely have seen some good things about the GH4/5 - especially for video. I think I'm mostly concerned about the size of going that route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom