Upgrading Perdix to Teric - Any Regrets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Husband and I are going to Hawaii for 8 weeks in December and there will be a lot of diving. I currently have a Perdix and he has a Teric. He wants to buy me a Teric for Hanukkah, but I will say I'm hesitant about the smaller display. I'm looking forward to the watch band and not dealing with o-rings for battery changes.

Has anyone else made the switch? Do you love the Teric? Any regrets?

One's for diving and one's for Tericing, it's your wrist.

Happy Hanukkah!

The display on the Teric is Absolutely wonderful and I would dare say easier to read compared to the Perdix. If the only thing holding you back is the smaller size, go for it. That being said, the Perdix is a great computer so there is no real reason to upgrade to a Teric. It's true that you don't have to deal with O'Rings, but you will need to deal with almost daily charging if you are diving a lot.

If i had to buy new I would get a Teric, but if I had a perdix, I wouldn't switch.

The Teric is a really top choice but not necessarily an upgrade from a perdix, I switched with no regrets but I would have to say the hubby needs to sacrifice and just let you use his Teric so you can tell for sure.

Nice that you'll have same-brand redundancy....and a backup if one of you has a computer failure.

For the less than price of one Teric, you could buy 2 Peregrines... redundancy for everyone!

Mine is AI, do you know if the transmitter can be linked to both computers at the same time? Maybe I’ll keep the Perdix as a backup.

After my perdix got stolen from a rented car in Tenerife, I bought a Teric.

The screen is indeed smaller and I found it harder to read. That really was a bummer, I must say. So I bought a mask with +1/+2 lenses, which made the whole switch even more expensive. Second disadvantage, I like to wear it somewhat higher on my forearm. The dryglove rings are in the way of operating the left buttons. But the Teric tends to slide to my wrist all the time, the strap is to slippery and not elastic enough. I have to find a solution for that.

But I like the Teric, the fact that I wear it as a watch now while travelling, the air intergration, the small red compass arrow. But I would not switch for that reason alone.

I have both Perdix (wife) and Teric (mine) units, and use each for backups to our Petrel Ext computers on our rebreathers. I do like the Teric ok and find the compass spinning around the bezel to be useful. But I would not consider the Teric to be an Upgrade over the Perdix. The only advantage the Teric has is if you are very frequently diving and want to keep wearing it as a wrist watch. It does nothing else better than the Perdix, and needs more attention with a custom charger.

I'm not sure what the problem with orings on the Perdix is. Unless you drop the battery cap in the dirt, you should need to do nothing but smear a tiny bit of lube on them before sealing it up. Get some good Energizer Lithium cells and you won't need to change the battery more than once or twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom