UPS and damaged packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
UPS is denying a claim on a package (dive light) I shipped based on "insufficient packaging". The thing is built to withstand what, 14 atm or so? It was packed in a cardboard box with peanuts, those air cell things, and that crushable brown paper stuff.

Any idea what recourse I have?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...not the HID?
Not that serious, but still BS, IMHO..

Take a stack of photos of the packaging for future possible use. Or has someone else received it? Has a UPS rep seen the package to declare it insufficient?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Take a stack of photos of the packaging for future possible use. Or has someone else received it? Has a UPS rep seen the package to declare it insufficient?
Supposedly it was inspected on the other end and the claim forms were to be forwarded to me, but after not receiving them I contacted them today and they said the claim was denied due to insufficient packaging. I have the package in my possession now and it has an obvious tear in it and has obviously been crushed.

I had the same thing happen with a computer awhile back.

The outside of the box was heavily damaged and they tried telling me I didnt have the proper packaging, which for a computer I probably didnt, but it was packed in a way that shouldnt of been damaged.

Anyway, by the box being damaged heavily I was able to get the money back. If it is a big deal to you then pursue it, otherwise forget about it...it is a pain to deal with them.

I know of a fix, but it depends on how much its worth to you. I had the same problem happen to me, where there was damage to a UPS shipped item, UPS was denying the claim, and they were rude about it to boot. The solution that I pursued was efficient, although it may sound otherwise. I phoned the Insterstate Commerce Commission, and chatted with the Duty Officer there for a few minutes. He told me that if they get involved a company will generally meet you half way. I then wrote a letter to the head of UPS customer service at the destination indicating that I had been in contact with an ICC representative, copied the letter to customer service at the shipping origin, and then waited. Within 2 days the shipper was contacted by UPS asking how much the check should be for.:)

I worked as a shipping clerk for a few years and this is my input to all of this:

If you securely packaged the item with newsprint, packing peanuts and bubble wrap, then taped up with proper packing tape you did everything right. Did you secure it enough to the point if you were to shake the box the item inside didn't move all around? Did you pack it in a box that was at least 1/2 size bigger all around so you can securely cushion the item? If so, you packed it correctly. If the item was damaged pursue them to cover it, or if you're just looking to get your money back, pursue it still. Speak to Customer Service and if they won't help ask for a Manager, then ask for his Manager, and so forth. Make a point to not be ignored.

well.. I had my run-in in 1990...I now see from a web search that the ICC which was a federal agency that regulated aspects of interstate commerce was done away with in 1995, and its functions transferred to other agencies.
I guess I could have helped you until 1995.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom