US Scuba Diver - Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Durban South Africa - A United States scuba diver was mauled in a shark attack off the Rocky Bay coast near Durban on Tuesday, Netcare 911 said.

"Both his hands and his left leg were badly mauled," said spokesperson Chris Botha.

He said paramedics stabilised the 22-year-old man before he was airlifted to the Albert Luthuli Central Hospital in Durban.

The man was reportedly diving for scientific research when he was attacked just after noon.

For it to attack a scuba diver he must have been collecting something the shark wanted to eat or relative to that.

Says who? You? Bit premature don't you think?

Any ID on the shark? They have Bulls, Tigers, Black Tips and others around Duban. Would be VERY interested to find out what shark and what context.

Thanks,
John

Durban South Africa - A United States scuba diver was mauled in a shark attack off the Rocky Bay coast near Durban on Tuesday, Netcare 911 said.

"Both his hands and his left leg were badly mauled," said spokesperson Chris Botha.

He said paramedics stabilised the 22-year-old man before he was airlifted to the Albert Luthuli Central Hospital in Durban.

The man was reportedly diving for scientific research when he was attacked just after noon.

Conjecture very tempting. I did baited dives at Aliwal Shoals and Protea Banks late last year. Some pretty up close encounters. I can see how it could get out of hand. That said, most of the accidents have been boat launch and re-entry related or lost divers. I'm not aware of any injuries/fatalities due to shark interaction (but can see how it could occur). Like I say, pure conjecture, the dive may not even be at any of these areas. If you get any more info I'd be very interested to learn more.

Thanks,
John

The diver was launching out of rocky bay to the shark diving area at awliwal shoal. What I know so far is that he was bitten three or four times by a dusky shark and is in a critical condition. Not sure exactly what they were doing but reports so far say that they might have been with sardines

He was on a normal baited shark dive when he was bitten by a dusky shark. As far as I am aware there was no scientific angle and there were definitely no sardines around. In the past 10 years of baited dives this is a first time this has happened and we can all hope he pulls through.

Would love to understand how this happened. I love diving sharks around Umkomaas. I have always been of the opinion that sharks would not attack scuba divers while diving (floating on the surface - different story). Maybe I have to relook the way I think about this.

Very rare event indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom