US Scuba Diver - Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! You're still not getting it. I'll keep it short and on point.

You (as do all I think) aknowledge there is an "environmental impact".

Is the "impact" a negative one? I don't know, but seems to be case the with the Bears in American parks, Gators in Florida and ducks at my office. But that aside, demonstrate to me that altering the behavior of these animals does not negatively impact; 1. The oceans. 2. Humans. 3. The animals themselves. 4. Mother Earth Herself. Then, I'll go away. The law makers in the Great State of Florida outlawed the practice.

Just throwing this out there. If they're being fed, the sharks are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. Is that like killing them? I don't know. Up to the baiters, feeders and chummers to convince me. (well I got off the point :D )

Above is the entire chain of comments about this particular aspect of the discussion. As I have said, twice now, and you seem disinclined to accept, is that I have no concern with the "environmental impact" aspect of this argument. I don't think there's any debate on that at all. Everyone recognizes there IS an impact. What I said was simply that environmental impact isn't "WRONG" to some people and it is "WRONG" to other people. Right and wrong are always debatable in a philosophical discussion such as this. Facts about the effect/impact of the practice have no bearing on right and wrong for some people.

I won't bother discussing the point any further because you either want to argue about two different things or are incapable of recognizing the difference, neither of which I'm prepared to waste any further time "fixing".

Last edited:
I arrived in Umkomaas the day this accident happened and I would like to pass my condolences to the diver. This http://www.africandiver.com/index.p...wazulu-natal-south-coast&catid=40:latest-news article is in line with the information I received from divers involved in the rescue. Here is a little more information:

1. The diver was attacked by a 3m dusky shark. Normally dusky sharks are not seen on these dives, but they are preset in coastal waters during the sardine run. Normally reef sharks Tiger, Black Tip, Gray, etc. are present on these dives.

2. The diver was researching Black Tip reef sharks and was attacked in 5-10m depth swimming alone. The shark attacked the leg of the diver, and it is believed that some “shiny” print on his split fins provoked the attack. The shark attacked from below, which is coherent with sharks hunting sardines.

3. The hands, arms and torso of the diver were also bitten as the diver tried to push the shark away. When I left Umkomaas it was believed that the diver would survive, but lose one leg and maybe some of his arms or hands.

4. Some of the baited (chumming) shark dives where cancelled after the attack. They were running again a week later and a 3m dusky shark was also present on one of these dives.

5. This is the first shark attack on a SCUBA diver recorded in Umkomass. During the Sardine Run divers dive and snorkel with dusky sharks with no serious attacks so far. This is blue water dives, but the divers stay together in a group. It is believed that the sharks perceive the group as one massive object.

6. So far the attack has not provoked killing of sharks as it was done in Sharm el Sheikh. I think the dusky shark attacked what it believed to be some sardines and I do not think that it now have a taste for divers. This was a very very sad mistake.

My conclusion: Divers must be careful when diving on the SA East Coast during the Sardine Run also when there are no visible sardines. They should stay close to the bottom or in a group and avoid wearing shiny markings. And as always not spear fish when sharks are around.

/Sam

I will be diving in Umkomaas this coming week and hope to see some sharks without the use of chum/baits. I think I have missed most if not all of the sardines which is :( Ibelieve the vis is great with lots to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be diving in Umkomaas this coming week and hope to see some sharks without the use of chum/baits. I think I have missed most if not all of the sardines which is :( Ibelieve the vis is great with lots to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude, you're right on the money. We just returned from Aliwal Shoal and had the most awesome dives. Saw loads of Raggies and a fair number of Oceanic Blacktip Sharks as well - all without baiting. In fact, the operator we dived with did do one baited dive during the time we were there and they saw pretty much what we saw, with the addition of one Dusky Shark.

The viz was fantastic, the sea as flat as a mirror. Seriously, you don't get these conditions at Aliwal Shoal very often. The winds were picking up as we left though so I think you might not be as lucky with the swell and surf but there's no reason why you shouldn't have the same excellent viz and great sightings.

I was snowed in and could not make the trip. I think I am going to be sick!!!!!! I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable trip and was able to experience a proper ocean dive without intervention (chum etc).

I am off to go and be sick somewhere now!!!

I had never seen a film of one of those dives before and I found it very interesting - and also a bit disturbing.

In response to some of the posts about the "right" or "wrong" of this. I had never really thought about it because I didn't think it affected me - until this summer.

In June, I was diving at a spot in the Bahamas where I've gone for the last several years. For the first time, I saw a weird phenomena: within minutes of the divers leaving the boat, we were surrounded by sharks (mostly reef sharks). In the past, you might see one or two and also some hammerheads on a dive. But never so many and never this close. (I add that none of us were feeding, chumming, etc., just diving.) But these sharks came right up to us, with no fear whatsoever.

I also noticed that there were far fewer lionfish than in the past years. Later, one of the locals told us the government was paying bounties to locals to spear the lionfish, as the population had gotten out of control. And the guy told us (with great innocence of the implications) that as long as they brought up a carcass of a lionfish, they got paid. So a lot of the time, they would split the fish open and leave the "meat" for the "other fish". I think you can see what's happening. Every time those sharks see divers, they are hoping the divers will have some fresh food for them.

Now there are "shark people" out there who love to go diving and see sharks. I am not one of them - I am more of a "sea turtle" person. But the fact that those sharks would come so close to us divers (and even follow us around on some dives) meant that there were fewer forms of other wildlife around.

So yes, it's affecting my diving and I don't like it. I also think that tampering with the balance of nature like that is going to create serious trouble for divers in the long run.

Lastly, I'm glad to hear that the poor diver in the original post survived, although very sad to hear he may lose a limb (or limbs) over this.

Just my 2 cents,
Tricia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom