USA3000 Airlines - Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teamheatwave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi Ya'll. I am headed to Mexico in 7 days. I am flying USA3000. Before I booked my trip several months ago I intentionally checked the airline website and called my travel agent (Liberty Travel) on two separate occasions to verify luggage restrictions. I did so before I booked. I just double checked today and found the restrictions have changed to 2 bags totally no more than 50 pounds total. That means 25 pounds per bag! How many of you can fit 8 days worth of clothing plus your gear into a bag weighing no more than 25 pounds? They are checking and enforcing. The cost for bags over the allowance $50 per bag. My travel agent called and yup, they changed the rules. A representative from USA3000 told me two really big tales. First, that the travel agency I booked my package with sets the weight restrictions because it is a charter. The travel agency denies this. And ready for the second one. . . the luggage allowances is less because most people opt for an all inclusive package. Can anyone, please, ANYONE explain to me why the location of where I dine dictates how much luggage I am allowed? Usually my bags weigh 35-40 pounds each. International flights were 70 pounds but some have a 50 pound limit per bag. USA3000 is the ONLY one I know with a 25 pound per bag limit. So all of you considering using them, make sure you can fit all of your stuff into a 25 pound per bag limit. Right now I am basically stuck. It is too late to find another flight, especially an inexpensive one with a similar schedule to what I have. So I am hostage to these new tactics. But I guarantee you if I get hit with the fees, I will be marching the travel agent and airlines into small claims court for re-imbursement. I have also made it a personal mission to make sure I let as many people as possible know of this. If they get away with it, other airlines may follow so let's nip it in the bud.

The only "scheduled" flight from Newark is to Punta Cana. All the other destinations it flies to almost daily out of Newark like Mexico or other tropical destinations are considered charter flights. If you are going to Punta Cana you are allowed 50 pounds each per bag and are allowed 2 bags. That is unless they decide to change the rules again. My advice is to constantly check even up to departure time.

Most airlines do have restrictions on weight but not so tight as USA3000. I booked with Liberty Travel in June for a trip to ST Lucia and had alot of bags they wanted to charge me but i stood my ground and let it go(nice ticket agent) alot of Airlines will let a set of golf clubs on for free (sports equipment) so if worst comes to worst find out if they will let a set of clubs on for free. you can fit alot of clothes in a golf bag ..............................Just an idea i used the allowance for 2 sets of dive gear ..............Good Luck and have a great trip

Yeah, thanks but I am hostage to their tactics at this point. So the only way to fight back is to hit them where it hurts. . . in the pocketbook. I am not spreading any false rumors - just making as many people as I can aware of how they treat their customers and what their policies are. It saves people about to book with them the grief and puts money in their competitors bank account. My fear is that other airlines are watching how they do and they may soon follow. I mean I am not taking a piano down. 25 pounds is a rediculous allowance.

Bring the dive gear, forget the clothes (they're overrated).

I believe that fee is for each way too.
You might be able to make your case at the ticket counter. Ask for the Customer Service Supervisor.
GL
Cjh

teamheatwave once bubbled...
Hi Ya'll. I am headed to Mexico in 7 days. I am flying USA3000. Before I booked my trip several months ago I intentionally checked the airline website and called my travel agent (Liberty Travel) on two separate occasions to verify luggage restrictions. I did so before I booked. I just double checked today and found the restrictions have changed to 2 bags totally no more than 50 pounds total. That means 25 pounds per bag! How many of you can fit 8 days worth of clothing plus your gear into a bag weighing no more than 25 pounds? They are checking and enforcing. The cost for bags over the allowance $50 per bag. My travel agent called and yup, they changed the rules. A representative from USA3000 told me two really big tales. First, that the travel agency I booked my package with sets the weight restrictions because it is a charter. The travel agency denies this. And ready for the second one. . . the luggage allowances is less because most people opt for an all inclusive package. Can anyone, please, ANYONE explain to me why the location of where I dine dictates how much luggage I am allowed? Usually my bags weigh 35-40 pounds each. International flights were 70 pounds but some have a 50 pound limit per bag. USA3000 is the ONLY one I know with a 25 pound per bag limit. So all of you considering using them, make sure you can fit all of your stuff into a 25 pound per bag limit. Right now I am basically stuck. It is too late to find another flight, especially an inexpensive one with a similar schedule to what I have. So I am hostage to these new tactics. But I guarantee you if I get hit with the fees, I will be marching the travel agent and airlines into small claims court for re-imbursement. I have also made it a personal mission to make sure I let as many people as possible know of this. If they get away with it, other airlines may follow so let's nip it in the bud.

After reading the baggage allowance rules on USA3000's Web site, it does appear that their baggage limit (for Apple charter flights) is 2 items totalling 50 pounds, but not necessarily 2-25 pound items. I'd assume that one 15 and one 35 would be acceptable. Unclear: whether or not that limit includes carry-on baggage.

On the other hand, I don't understand why you have a problem with that limit. I routinely travel all over the world diving, carrying all diving gear less tanks and weights, with checked and carryon baggage weighing less than a total of 50 pounds.

Compared to some charter airlines, that policy could be viewed as liberal. Charter airlines from the UK often only allow 20kg of checked luggage and 5kg of hand luggage. They are known to weigh carry-on bags. Divers are said to be singled out.

On top of that, many of these fligths arrange the seats with a 29 inch pitch. Standard seating on most airlines is a miserable 31 inches. 29- yikes!

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
Bring the dive gear, forget the clothes (they're overrated).

Wear levis. Pack sweat pants and two pair of short pants. Wear a sweat shirt and pack two T shirts. Pack two extra pair undies. Wear tennis shoes and pack shower slippers. Bring a hat and sunglasses. Pack dive skins or a 3mm wetsuit. Add that up and it will not come to more than 15 lbs plus suitcase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom