use of air2 with full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me add that there are agencies like Dive Rescue International and Lifegard Systems that offer extensive training in public safety and law inforcement diving. I won't second guess the methods they teach because I'm not qualified to. However, most of the teams that I know of are getting by without that training. They're sometimes using donated junk equipment and have some local self proclaimes expert making up a PSD program as he goes.

Team member are on the team with just an OW cert and many team members just don't dive or train enough. The result is beginners who don't have a clue out doing things that they would refuse if they knew better.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Let me add that there are agencies like Dive Rescue International and Lifegard Systems that offer extensive training in public safety and law inforcement diving. I won't second guess the methods they teach because I'm not qualified to. However, most of the teams that I know of are getting by without that training. They're sometimes using donated junk equipment and have some local self proclaimes expert making up a PSD program as he goes.

Team member are on the team with just an OW cert and many team members just don't dive or train enough. The result is beginners who don't have a clue out doing things that they would refuse if they knew better.

I was once at Vortex Springs when the Memphis Dive Rescue was training. O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not usually one to ***** over bad viz due to students or divers. I usually just enjoy diving anyway I can take it. BUT MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! These guys were scary. And to think they were going to be diving in the Mighty Miss. This was at least 7 or 8 yrs. ago so hopefully they have improved. The real kicker was when they were on our boat the next day with Hydrospace out of Panama City. I had NO idea you could ruin VIZ in the ocean till that day.

Is one of the most important things in divers who do dive in more than one field.

In commercial diving I am trying to get a job done as fast and accurately as possible while staying alive to collect my pay. Nearly everything I have to work on is on, in or under the mud. If there is any vis at the start as soon as work starts it goes to zero. Many times I am using no BC, no fins and LOTS of weight.

In PSD the goal is to complete the rescue, find the evidence or ???
Again the vis is usuall poor to none to start and everything is done by feel and speed is far more important than maintaining vis. At least in rescues.

In sport diving I am trying to *look* at thing so vis is much more important. Here I am striving to control bouyancy and not stir the muck.

The trick is making the mindset change between modes. Some people either can't make the change or don't even think of the idea. Unfortunately some of these people are also resistant to any suggestions that they might want to dive differently on a rec boat than in a retention pond recovery.

With the diverse backgrounds and views of the participants this board is an amazing resource of information. While it seems that I am not alone in viewing a FFM/AIR2 setup as a potential risk, that means that my concern for my boyfriend's safety may not be unfounded :(. I also can see that I haven't been approaching these concerns in a constructive manner. I have talked to him about my this and other dive rescue issues as much as I dare. For the sake of a peaceful relationship I need to back off and let him do what he wants to do. He is going to try to remember to connect an octo when we dive together, and I am going to get a pony bottle setup on my bc so that in case he forgets I have a fallback. From your feedback I have learned that there is probably little reason for concern when he is on missions since he will be on a tether, and he really doesn't dive much with them recreationally. So statistically speaking I think that will work out too. Thanks again for your experiences, insights, and opinions.

There are quite a few people who have dove the missle silo. The LDS used to offer trips and did some of their Master Diver checkout dives there. Its fun to hear the stories of the dives and the work required to clean a silo up so it would be suitable for diving. From what I understand, sometime last year there became an issue with the owner regarding liability and access. I think others on this board have dove the site and could give you first hand feedback on what it was like.

Back
Top Bottom