Used reg questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks that helps. Although I understood very little of the second half of your post at least I know who to ask if I have reg servicing questions! Ha. I do have an apeks t40d second stage that I picked up somewhere that I was wanting to fix up but not too sure where to start

.....Every document I can find lists the VIVA vane o-ring as an 008, and I have used those, but for some reason I'm thinking that the best size is a little smaller, like a metric o-ring with a slightly smaller cross section. For sure the 902 size works better on the orifice than the standard 010. Maybe some retired guy with time on his hands can find just the right size o-ring for the vane......

I'm old, but not able to retire..... The SP part number for the VIVA vane is 01-050-126 which is a 4.5mm I.D. X 1.8mm C.S The closest McMaster has is a 4.5mm X 1.5mm only $4.25 for a pack of 25. If you want to gamble, the McMaster number is 9263k565. I also checked PAI and they don't come any closer than McMaster.

However, a -008 is actually closer than the above as the I.D. is 4.47mm (not important as the true i.d. will be established when you fit it over the stem) with a cross section of 1.78mm +/- 0.08 When you have a close tolerance o-ring such as on the vane or a hp piston stem, sometimes it helps to remove the flash (or chine) from the inside and outside of the o-ring. The flash is the little piece of extra material left over from the molding process. Just roll up a piece of fine grit sandpaper and give it a turn or two for the inside, then put the o-ring on one of your impeccably clean chopsticks and gently buff the outside piece off by turning it inside a sandpaper tube.

Of course, you could pay top dollar and support you LDS for an o-ringinal. (word I just made up)

To the OP, the Usual Suspects put together a checklist you might find helpful, it's a sticky at the top of this forum:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

You may be able to find a manual or schematic similar to your reg here:
http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/apeks/

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. The reg seemed to check out ok so I'm the proud New owner of a titan lx second stage! It kinda "honks" a bit when breathing and I've noticed some other regs do that top. What causes/fixes it?

I have an old SE2 that does that as the tank pressure gets low. I kind of considered it a feature as it tells me it is past time to come up :)

I have an old SE2 that does that as the tank pressure gets low. I kind of considered it a feature as it tells me it is past time to come up :)

I have a conshelf XI that does this as well. starts at about 700 psi. I do a lot of shallow bridge and shore diving and it
can get a little annoying. above 800 psi and around 18-20 foot and deeper it breathes like a dream !

Thanks that helps. Although I understood very little of the second half of your post at least I know who to ask if I have reg servicing questions! Ha. I do have an apeks t40d second stage that I picked up somewhere that I was wanting to fix up but not too sure where to start

If you can score a parts kit I would start with that. You can find the service manual on Frogkick and there is also a flash presentation that is helpful. If you cannot score a parts kit you can purchase a generic seat from Trident and use generic o-rings.

Def. check to make sure you can get parts and you still need a first stage, octo, and computer. I have some Cressi regs for sale, they are the Cressi MC5 first stage, Ellipse Black 2nd stage, Ellipse Octo and SPG for $200 and a few of the same sets with an Cressi Archamidies computer and the complete set with computer is $275. Let me know if you would like me to send you a set.

The OP is in Singapore, it may be better for him to stick with Apeks/Aqualung products. BTW, service kits can be purchased in the US, Ness and DRIS carry them.

Already have a computer and TITAN first stage/octo are coming just that I wanted an lx second stage so grabbed this too.

Thanks guys will start hunting for parts

If you have problems post in the DIY repair section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom