Used Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjvanek

New
Reaction score
A friend has offered to sell me his regulator. It's a US Divers model (don't have the model number yet) that was supposedly top-of-the-line when he bought it. I plan to take it to my local dive shop for reconditioning. Does it make sense to purchase a good used regulator rather than a new model? I'm wondering whether regulators have gone through significant technical improvement say in the last 5 to 10 years.

I have a US Divers Conshelf 21. It's been a great regulator, and I see no reason to replace it. You can search for "US Divers" for other threads on this board.... Seems that a lot of people have US Divers regs that are 10, 20+ years old and still swear by them.

You don't say how much you're saving by buying your friend's regulator, though. Having it serviced will probably cost between $80 and $120.

mjvanek once bubbled...
A friend has offered to sell me his regulator. It's a US Divers model (don't have the model number yet) that was supposedly top-of-the-line when he bought it. I plan to take it to my local dive shop for reconditioning. Does it make sense to purchase a good used regulator rather than a new model? I'm wondering whether regulators have gone through significant technical improvement say in the last 5 to 10 years.

Regulators have improved somewhat in the last 10 years but not much in the last 5. There's nothing wrong with buying a good used regulator but get it serviced before you use it and check the availability of parts etc.

U.S. divers have been making regs for a long time. For modern diving gear you need 3 or 4 LP ports (4 if you use a drysuit). Take a look at that if the reg is older than about 1985. Also the older conshelf regs are unbalanced piston type regulators, IIRC. They're better suited for shallow diving (max 60, maybe 80 ft) than they are for deep diving. Also piston type regs let water inside the 1st stage. This is supposed to happen, it's not a design flaw but it means that they're not good for cold water (mid to upper 40's or lower) due to the chance that the water inside the reg could freeze causing a freeflow. These are some things to ask your friend about. He'll know his own reg better than I do, obviously.

R..

Good point Diver0001.
I should add that I live and dive in Florida and anywhere warmer.... I don't use a dry suit, etc.... However, I have done deep diving (up to 135') with the conshelf, and have not had any problems.... I purchased mine around 1993.

I agree with the other posts.
I have a Conshelf SE2 that's essentially a Conshelf 21 with a thicker regulator hose, and it's still working great after 11 years. Now my Atomic regulator (now my primary) does breath better, but I have no problem using the Conshelf at recreational depths.
FYI, at the time I bought it, there were the Conshelfs and the then new Micras, and the Conshelfs were on the lower end.

But, make sure you get a reasonable price, since you can get pretty good new regulators relatively inexpensively. (Figure in the cost to get a overhaul.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom