Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
IFor example on a dive at about 80 feet the buddy of the day notified me he was down to 250 psi a couple hundred feet from the anchor line while I still had over a 1300 psi.

Good thing we're only discussing the 7ft hose thingy. Right now I'm thinking 10ft of rope! (And a 12ft tree).

Kim:
[devilish mode] So you have to do a lot of air sharing do you? :eyebrow: [/devilish mode]

Actually, if I'm diving with someone who goes through air faster than me we will sometimes share air for a while (at some point in the dive where it's practical) just so he or she can stay down longer. It has nothing to do with OOA ... it's simply a choice that you can make with a long hose that's not a practical option with a more conventional rig.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you really want to appreciate using a long hose, take a rescue class with someone diving a standard hose configuration. The long hose makes so much more sense for air shares and gives you a much higher comfort level with losing your primary. We practiced scenarios where an OOA diver swims at you full speed and grabs for your primary - piece of cake with a long hose. We practiced long swims while doing an air share - again tons easier with a long hose. And my personal favorite - the panicked diver - no worries about him (why are all the panicked divers twice your size:)) "accidentally" smacking your reg since there is another one just a few inches from your mouth.

Jackie

Since I'm a newbie, I am still only doing recreational dives. I’m curious how do you route such a long hose and keep it from dragging. I have a standard octo hose and I keep the second stage clipped to my BC. Seems to me that a longer hose would hang down.

When i had to donate (except for S-drills) i found it was a chore with the 36-in hose, and doing so with my 7-ft hose is much easier. I agree a 5-ft hose is reasonable for rec divers. I also like the way there is less stiffness in the hose - longer length for the same moment of inertia, area and Young's modulus per unit length is better for a longer hose than a shorter one, so it wraps around the back of my neck and into my mouth more comfortably than a shorter hose that tries to straighten out all the time and get out of my mouth. :wink:

The hose comes under your right arm, up across your torso to the left side of your neck and then around your head. There will be some extra and that gets tucked into your belt.

You cannot wear a snorkel because when you donate this reg, it comes back over your head.

Zed:
Since I'm a newbie, I am still only doing recreational dives. I’m curious how do you route such a long hose and keep it from dragging. I have a standard octo hose and I keep the second stage clipped to my BC. Seems to me that a longer hose would hang down.

It goes down your back alongside your tank, under something on your right hip (a canister light, an integrated weight pouch, or maybe just tucked into your belt), up across your abdomen and chest, over the left shoulder, behind your neck, and over your right shoulder to your mouth. Easier to do than to describe. <g> The point being that it's easy to deploy and and easy to re-stow.

There are lots of things commonly done/used by technical divers that would be a big help to recreational divers. In some cases I'd say rec divers would benefit more than the technical divers.

OE2X:
One perception that seems to be prevalent here is that if you are going to use a long hose that you must be wreck or cave diving or you want to look like a tech wannabee.

Most of the divers I see out here that use a 7' hose seem to be doing a lot of recreational dives. I know that is particularly true for many of my buddies. Some of them even dive doubles for their rec. dives. The next time I go warm water diving, I will use a long hose...

Here are some of the reasons why I like using a 7' hose:

Air shares are much easier!
Ascents and holding stops are much easier when sharing air.
Swimming into a current is much easier when sharing air.

The long hose has it's place in diving , but it's not for everyone or every dive. Try and find out what and who developed the long hose and what kind of diving they were doing. and then decide if you need a long hose. INHO most rec divers don't need it and I've seen long hoses become dangerous to the diver wearing it.:death2:

novadiver:
The long hose has it's place in diving , but it's not for everyone or every dive. Try and find out what and who developed the long hose and what kind of diving they were doing. and then decide if you need a long hose. INHO most rec divers don't need it and I've seen long hoses become dangerous to the diver wearing it.:death2:
I disagree that the origins of the long hose present any reason whatsoever whether or not to use it.

The benefits and disadvantages for the diver should be what determines the gear he adopts, not why it was first done that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom