Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should also be pointed out that when using a long primary hose, it's imperative to have a backup regulator, to be used only by that diver, somewhere easily accessible and trustworthy. Most divers put a short hose on their backup, and keep the second stage on a bungee necklace.

You know a really easy way to share air? Clip a 30cuft pony off and do away with the other second stage. You can pass it off to the OOA diver and not worry about getting tangled or staying too close to them. It will also give you a totally redundant souce of breathing gas.

jonnythan:
Most divers put a short hose on their backup, and keep the second stage on a bungee necklace.

Look around Jonnythan, most diver use a bright yellow octopus on a short yellow hose that dangles 3 feet below them in the silt and probably wouldn't work if you ever needed it. Usually can be found dragging next to the console. :wink:

wedivebc:
Look around Jonnythan, most diver use a bright yellow octopus on a short yellow hose that dangles 3 feet below them in the silt and probably wouldn't work if you ever needed it. Usually can be found dragging next to the console. :wink:
I meant most divers who have adopted a long hose primary.

wedivebc:
You know a really easy way to share air? Clip a 30cuft pony off and do away with the other second stage. You can pass it off to the OOA diver and not worry about getting tangled or staying too close to them. It will also give you a totally redundant souce of breathing gas.
I'd much rather get the regulator out of my buddy's mouth than hope his pony bottle is turned on, the regulator is functioning, AND that it has enough air...

Unless all three of those conditions are met, you will be buddy breathing to the surface :wink:

wedivebc:

those are octo's? I always thought they were drag ancors to slow em down in a current.

jonnythan:
I'd much rather get the regulator out of my buddy's mouth than hope his pony bottle is turned on, the regulator is functioning, AND that it has enough air...

Unless all three of those conditions are met, you will be buddy breathing to the surface :wink:

How often do you practice OOA scenatios when you dive. Those would all be easy checks to make at the start of the dive.

wedivebc:
How often do you practice OOA scenatios when you dive. Those would all be easy checks to make at the start of the dive.
This might be an argument for another thread, but if I'm out of gas at depth, whether I did an OOA drill earlier in the dive or not, I want the reg in my buddy's mouth. I know it's working RIGHT NOW and I know he has enough gas on his back to get us both back. Would you be diving with the pony "always on"?

jonnythan:
This might be an argument for another thread, but if I'm out of gas at depth, whether I did an OOA drill earlier in the dive or not, I want the reg in my buddy's mouth. I know it's working RIGHT NOW and I know he has enough gas on his back to get us both back. Would you be diving with the pony "always on"?

This is the reason to research a little history on the long hose, In short, the primary long hose is used for ooa divers in no viz. that way the donor diver can feel the ooa diver feeling for his head and be ready to donate gas. second, the long hose is used to bring two divers through a restriction when they cannot swim side by side. as you can see, an ooa diver in good viz can use a short hose to breath from because training dictates that that diver grab your shoulder harness for the ascent. In less your diving with a buddy with seven foot arms the long hose is not needed or you are diving beyond your cert level.

If you get your training from a " fashion show training org." you probably don't know the reasons behind the gear. At that point, your at risk.

wedivebc:
agreed, I'd rather pass my argon bottle with a safe second attacted to the drysuit inflater. That way I get practice in rescue also, LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom