Using a Sony NEX7 as Video Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has had experience using the NEX7 in nauticam housing for video
I am impressed by the video mode but I am wondering if the 18-55 flat port would be adequate?
in theory you still get 24mm which is circa 84 degrees diagonal more than adequate for video

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-1469.jpg

This lens is 76 degrees on the wide end not 84 with a 35mm conversion of 27mm.

The first problem is that behind a flat port the AOV narrows even further and that this "kit" lens is average at best on the NEX-5n and gets even worse on the 24MP NEX-7.

Image at 18mm with the NEX-7 in the Nauticam housing using the flat port.

The dome port would help to widen the range of the lens for video.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil
However I was under the impression that for the dome you can't have a zoom lens so it is pretty much fisheye al the time?
I would like to have around 90 degree but same time be able to do some close up (zoom in at around 6") maybe this is not possible unless you add a wet wide lens on a flat port?
Assuming that the nex7 can actually focus at that distance!

This is the Nauticam port chart for the NEX cameras, http://www.nauticamusa.com/storage/NEX-ports.pdf You can see that their is both a flat port and a four inch dome port for the 18 to 55 which both use the same zoom gear. This lens will focus to 25 CM from the image sensor which is less than six inches from the front of the dome port.

I don't think Nauticam makes an adapter to hold the a 67mm closeup lens to the front of the dome port, one is made for the flat port.

For macro it makes more sence to me to just buy the 30 macro and the macro port which has the built in 67mm thread. Total cost for both is under $600.00. The 30 macro has much better image quality than the 55 mm end of the zoom lens.

Phil Rudin

What I am saying is that a lens at 18mm with a 1.5X crop factor i.e. the Sony NEX sensor size renders an angle of view of 76 degrees which is equal to the AOV of a 27mm lens for 35mm.

Also all the Nauticam 4 inch dome port does is to retain the original 76 to 29 degree angle of view provided by the 18-55 lens. It does not reduce the AOV as it would behind a flat port. So the upside is that behind the dome the lens will be wider at the 18mm end and the 55 mm end than it would be behind the flat port.

OK so maybe a DSC-RX100 would probably be something more similar to what I need as this has the same quirks of an SLR

The NEX-7 takes great video, which quirks are you talking about? - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom