Using Air WAY to Fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it definatly has alot of dependency on how comfortable you are in the water, im not in shape really at all, about 5'10 or so and about 195, not in horrible shape but not the best, ive been around water all my life, spend half my life in wisconsin around lake michigan and where i live now we have a pool. on the other hand my friend who just got out of the army about 6'2 155 pounds is in great shape as you could imagine but hasnt been around water like i have, last dive we had i ended at 1200 psi he was at 700. in our case its purely the fact im comfortable in water and you need to focus on breathing long, slow deep breaths. Obviously with your asthma it may be more difficult (not sure i dont have it lol) but do a shallow dive and just hover, look around and work on your breathing. dont panic just relax. being in shape wont hurt by any means, but imo relaxing and you breathing underwater helps immensly. hope i helped a little.

Thanks for all the tips, I don't get to dive that often, I live in the DC metro area, so there isn't really a lot of opportunities to dive around here, if I could practice and dive more I definitely would.

There's a bunch of Quarries that are within easy reach of the DC Metro Area. All have tradeoffs (cost, facilities, distance) but they're still relatively close, relatively cheap way to go get wet and blow bubbles :)

- Lake Rawlings
- Millbrook?
- Dutch Springs
- Bainbridge
- Hyde's

Plus keep an eye out on the various shops in the area - some offer Pool playtime as the weather starts turning cold. Sometimes you can get a good deal on an evening in the pool that even includes gear if you need it. You'll be amazed at how much you can lean and grow just by spending an hour or two working on hovering in one spot.

Also, how warm are you? If you're cold, it's going affect your breathing. The more comfortable you are, the lower your air consumption will be. This is a personal thing - even if you buddies are diving the same amount of exposure protection in the same water, they might be warmer than you. Some people get colder than others.

There's a bunch of Quarries that are within easy reach of the DC Metro Area. All have tradeoffs (cost, facilities, distance) but they're still relatively close, relatively cheap way to go get wet and blow bubbles :)

- Lake Rawlings
- Millbrook?
- Dutch Springs
- Bainbridge
- Hyde's

Plus keep an eye out on the various shops in the area - some offer Pool playtime as the weather starts turning cold. Sometimes you can get a good deal on an evening in the pool that even includes gear if you need it. You'll be amazed at how much you can lean and grow just by spending an hour or two working on hovering in one spot.

Also, how warm are you? If you're cold, it's going affect your breathing. The more comfortable you are, the lower your air consumption will be. This is a personal thing - even if you buddies are diving the same amount of exposure protection in the same water, they might be warmer than you. Some people get colder than others.

I have to agree with your post here TravisD. Howie, maybe you should consider coming up to our area to Dutch Springs. We are there a lot, and it is a very good training area. I believe the vis (minus right around where the students get their check out dives in) is about the best. It's a three hour run from DC, so you may consider camping at the park, or getting a hotel room local to the area in Bethlehem, PA. Check them out at Dutch Springs, if you haven't been there yet. You can train on the platforms, and do a few dives on a couple of decent U/W attactions. Local dives shops will support your needs (I use Indian Valley Scuba), and you can get fills at the quarry.

OK, think it out. Safe diving to you.

I have to agree with your post here TravisD. Howie, maybe you should consider coming up to our area to Dutch Springs. We are there a lot, and it is a very good training area. I believe the vis (minus right around where the students get their check out dives in) is about the best. It's a three hour run from DC, so you may consider camping at the park, or getting a hotel room local to the area in Bethlehem, PA. Check them out at Dutch Springs, if you haven't been there yet. You can train on the platforms, and do a few dives on a couple of decent U/W attactions. Local dives shops will support your needs (I use Indian Valley Scuba), and you can get fills at the quarry.

OK, think it out. Safe diving to you.

Lake Rawlings was where I went yesterday, first time there, I usually go to Millbrook. Though Millbrook is gross and cold and after that nice 3 hr drive to Lake Rawlings yesterday, not sure I want to do that anytime again soon. :) I would love to try Dutch Springs soon though.

On a side note, I pulled the info off my dive computer and this is what I got:

Dive 1:

Dive Time - 30 mins
SAC - 1.12 SCFM
Pressure Used - 2639
Rate used 86.1 psi/min
Avg Dept -33 feet

Dive 2:

Dive Time - 58 mins
SAC - 0.8 SCFM
Pressure Used - 3074
Rate used 52.7 psi/min
Avg Dept -21 feet

So I guess my breathing did get a lot better by the 2nd dive.

So I'm having a problem where I use my air to fast. I'm a novice diver and maybe done about 10 or so dives in quarries/lakes.

Every time a dive is over I have like 300 PSI or so and my dive buddies (usually different) have almost 1100+.

For instance today I went out to a lake, I was using a Steel 120 tank and my buddy was using a Aluminum 80.

When the dive was over I had 120 PSI left and she had over 1000 left. I'd say this dive was a good 35-40 minutes at around 15-20 feet.

Any suggestions? I do have a mild case of Asthma and I due tend to use my inhaler before I dive just in case.

I'm not overweight, (5'9 155 pounds) though I'm not really in shape.

Classic case of "new diver's lament" ... most of us go through the same cycle you are. Don't worry about it.

When I was new, my buddies would tease me that they could see the sides of my tank cavitating when I breathed. They'd come back with 1,700+ psi and I'd be down well into the red zone. I didn't think there was any hope.

There was. Here's what I learned, and how I made it get better ...

1. Make sure you're weighted properly. Most new divers carry too much weight because they think they need it to get down. In reality, they don't ... they just haven't learned how to descend properly yet. There's a few good threads on ScubaBoard talking about descent techniques. Go find them and digest what they have to say. The problem with carrying too much weight is that it causes you to blow a lot of air through your BCD trying to get neutral. And because there's so much air in your BCD to compensate for all that weight, every little change in depth forces you to either blow some air out or jet some air into the BCD. Wastes a lot of gas doing that.

2. Swim horizontally. New divers tend to swim diagonally ... especially the overweighted ones. Problem with swimming that way is that you have to push a lot more water out of the way to get where you're going. And because what you're basically doing is kicking yourself up a bit, then letting gravity take you back down a bit, you're not only working harder, you're going farther than your buddies ... you're just "wasting" a lot of that distance going up and down. The harder you work, the more air you'll use getting there. Work on that trim ... water's really heavy stuff to move through, and the less you have to push out of your way the less exertion you'll use to get there.

3. Don't swim with your hands. Most new divers wave their arms around trying to "right" themselves ... when in fact, that just makes it harder. Put away those "special fins" ... you don't need them. The only thing you should be using your hands for is equalizing your air spaces (nose and BCD). Otherwise, tuck your hands into your BCD harness, or clasp them together in front of you, so you don't unconsciously learn the bad habit of waving them around. Using your hands does two bad things ... it forces you to move more water (like swimming diagonally) and it throws your balance all out of whack. In scuba diving, your fins are your motor ... learn to control your movement with your feet, and keep your hands in close to your body.

4. Slow down. Most new divers are like baby harbor seals ... they're flitting about trying to see everything. Think about it ... how much harder would you be breathing if you went everywhere on land by running rather than walking? Same holds true underwater. Slow down ... you'll breathe less hard, and chances are you'll suddenly start noticing a lot more cool stuff ... speedsters usually miss some of the coolest stuff there is to see down there.

And last ... but certainly not least ...

5. Dive often. We improve by doing .. and that's just as true in diving as anything else. If you want to get good at it, you gotta get out there and log some bottom time. Get out every chance you get. Take at least a few minutes every dive to practice a skill. A huge aspect of diving is mental ... and when you're new, your brain needs some time to "rewire" for the new environment. As you get more mentally comfortable, you will also get more physically relaxed ... and the key to good air consumption is relaxing.

That should be enough to get your started. My OW instructor told me to give it 50 dives to start feeling really comfortable in the water. I found that to be a reasonable rule of thumb. So relax and have fun ... and your air consumption woes will take care of themselves ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So I'm having a problem where I use my air to fast. I'm a novice diver and maybe done about 10 or so dives in quarries/lakes.

Every time a dive is over I have like 300 PSI or so and my dive buddies (usually different) have almost 1100+.

For instance today I went out to a lake, I was using a Steel 120 tank and my buddy was using a Aluminum 80.

When the dive was over I had 120 PSI left and she had over 1000 left. I'd say this dive was a good 35-40 minutes at around 15-20 feet.

Any suggestions? I do have a mild case of Asthma and I due tend to use my inhaler before I dive just in case.

I'm not overweight, (5'9 155 pounds) though I'm not really in shape.

Are you diving the JMR Quarry outside of Yanceyville in Blanch?

I am a novice and have been told I breathe well by instructors and dive masters - and have come up with just as much and in one case more air than a DM, but I admit to skip-breathing to get there and I didn't put two and two together until I started to associate the headaches I get when I deliberately do that on a dive. I personally have to just get better by streamlining, better buoyancy control and overall more relaxed breathing and physical activity instead of what I have been doing - trying to cheat - and in possibly a dangerous way, although I skip at the bottom of exhale.

I am a novice and have been told I breathe well by instructors and dive masters - and have come up with just as much and in one case more air than a DM, but I admit to skip-breathing to get there and I didn't put two and two together until I started to associate the headaches I get when I deliberately do that on a dive. I personally have to just get better by streamlining, better buoyancy control and overall more relaxed breathing and physical activity instead of what I have been doing - trying to cheat - and in possibly a dangerous way, although I skip at the bottom of exhale.

All of the little tricks that everyone enjoys telling you are just that. One day, you'll notice your breathing rate has slowed down... As you become an experienced diver... it just happens. Don't feel pressured to have fantastic breathing rates when you're a new diver. 25, 30, even 50 dives isn't a lot. Dive and get used to breathing off of a regulator, and being in the water. Eventually, your gas consumption will fall into place.

There is one thing that I've seen a few people mention, and that is fitness. Being in shape aerobically and physically makes a big difference. Maintain your general fitness, and your air consumption will improve... without cheating like skip breathing, or getting huge tanks, or other things.

Back
Top Bottom