Using Air WAY to Fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What others are saying about the 120 psi not being enough... let me say why 120 psi simply isn't enough.

The interstage pressure (IP) of most regulators is somewhere in the neighborhood of 135 - 170 psi. Only having 120 psi in your tank could mean there's simply not enough pressure to deliver a breath - in other words... it's like being empty.
@HowardE: I may be wrong about this, but...
AFAIK, given the conditions stated, the OP's second stage should still be able to deliver gas.

The worst case scenario is that the tank valve is closed and only 120 psi gas remains in the pressurized reg hoses. Given this scenario, a diver should still be able to take about 2 full breaths (provided he doesn't descend to a greater depth before taking those breaths). In the OP's case, we know that the tank valve was open, so 120 psi distributed throughout his HP120 (and his reg hoses) would translate into substantially more than a couple of breaths (depending on whether the tank pressure can overcome the mainspring and the design of the first stage).

I agree with you, though. Finishing a dive with 120 psi isn't enough. I wonder how accurate the OP's SPG is at such a low pressure. :wink:

(Or perhaps I'm missing something here and one of the reg gurus will correct me.)

Ha, ok ok I get it, don't let my air get that low. :) By and to answer your question Bubble, I use a Cobra 1 Dive computer, so I'm guessing the SPG is pretty accurate.

Ha, ok ok I get it, don't let my air get that low. :) By and to answer your question Bubble, I use a Cobra 1 Dive computer, so I'm guessing the SPG is pretty accurate.

Guessing it is accurate and KNOWING it is accurate are two different things.

Additionally, your extra gas isn't just for you, it is for your buddy as well. What happens if you are down to 120, you look over and see your buddy has gotten entangled in a huge ball of mono line he or she cant get free from? "Love to help you not die here, but I am out of gas, so sorry".

I see you already have gotten the point, but reserve air is CRITICAL to both you and your buddy's safety.

I may have missed it, if I did I am sorry, but another thing you really want to do is to check your weighting. A lot of new divers are way, way overweighted which causes you to use a lot more gas. Do a buoyancy check at 15 feet at 500 PSI. You should just be able to maintain your safety stop when at 500 PSI, if you have any more weight than that, you have too much on.

All good posts here Howie. You should be done your safety stop with about 500 PSI. If you relax and go slow, you will see a difference, but if it means ending your dive earlier to have the 500, make that part of your plan. Talk to your female buddy, and explain that it's a rate that will change for the better as you get more experience. A good buddy will understand.

Your SAC rate will improve, as everyone stated. You do need to dive more. I's very true, women in general will use less air/gas. Do you smoke cigarettes? If you do, this may be another problem. Are you cold? And as asked above, how is your bouyancy? Constantly adding and dumping air into your BC is not bouyancy. But you can't improve without the practice. Check how you are weighted as you begin, and also as you end the dive in the quarry or lake that you are in.

If it keeps going the same way, get in front of your instructor(s). I'll bet you can do some pool practice as other open water classes are going on. You might have to pay a little for some one on one time, but it's worth it. Good luck, and safe diving to you.

Another thing that improves your air consumption under water is to improve your air consumption on the ground. Work on getting in better shape. Bike ride, swim, jog, etc. Makes the diving even funner.

My SAC was 1.0 when I started, sat at 0.8 for about 30 dives or so, and is now around 0.6 or 0.7. One of my dive buddies was complaining that she was sucking air like crazy on one dive; her SAC on that dive was 0.45.

I land on shore at extremely familiar dive sites with familiar buddies with 500psi. One or the other, 750ish. My instabuddy and I planned to be on board the boat with 1000psi on a dive that neither of us were familiar with. I got down to 300psi once when I searching for my lost dive computer in 15' with two buddies (both very well known to me) who each had over 1000psi and longhoses.

I usually explain to my buddies that I go through air quickly, and give them an estimate of how long my gas will last. I haven't had any complaints so far, even when I explain that this 40' dive will probably only be 30 minutes long. I think it's mostly about managing expectations.

It'll get better as you gain experience--you need to relax, breath more normal, & enjoy your dives..btw. you are correct, that's aLOT of air used for a "35-40 minutes at around 15-20 feet."..Keep diving, you'll improve.......

To get on-topic here, what are you doing during the dive that causes you to use air at an unaceptable rate?
Are you breathing off the top of your lungs and not oxygenating correctly?
Most of us learned to swim on the surface by remaining bouyant and not exhaling correctly.
Are you constantly finning even when you have nowhere to go?
Take 2 pounds off your system and make another dive. You are too heavily weighted.
Being overweighted will burn air like you wouldn't believe.
Are you trimmed out properly or are you going through the dive with your head up and your feet down in the water column.
How's your kick?
Smooth and rythmic or are you bicycling and just making turbulance when moving through the water.
Are your fins proper for you, or are they some stiff design better suited for other persons physical abilitys.
If you can't relate to any of the above, have someone video you and you might get a laugh out of what you see happening.
And you might try some split fins.

It's pretty common for new divers to blow through gas. Some of it is lack of comfort, and improves with more time in the water. A LOT of it is inefficiency -- poor buoyancy control and bad trim, with excessive use of hands to try to gain stability. Here is an essay I wrote about this some time ago:

How fast you use your gas is determined by two things: How much CO2 you are generating per minute, and how efficiently you use the gas you breathe to accomplish gas exchange in the lungs.

To address the second idea first, I'm going to describe a little anatomy. Your respiratory system includes your mouth, larynx, trachea, large bronchi, small bronchioles and then the air sacs where gas exchange actually takes place. Until gas gets into the air sacs, it's just passing through -- it's not delivering any oxygen, or taking away any CO2. If the volume of air you breathe with each breathe is only the volume of your larynx, trachea and bronchi, you're moving a lot of air, but not exchanging any gas. That's why shallow, rapid breathing runs through your tank quickly (and also leaves you feeling short of breath). It's also why slow, deep breaths are routinely recommended by instructors.

Tension and anxiety tend to make people take quick, shallow breaths, which are inefficient. Relaxation tends to allow people to slow their breathing . . . but the funny thing is that slowing your breathing also tends to bring relaxation with it. That's the essence of yoga breathing, or meditation.

Assuming your breathing PATTERN is an efficient one, then you have to look at your CO2 production, which is a result of metabolic activity in cells. You have a certain basal metabolic rate, below which you really can't go. It's actually HIGHER in fitter people than it is in the unfit, so you'd think that getting fit would make your gas consumption worse. But at the same time that your basal metabolic rate increases, the amount of muscle effort you need to accomplish a given amount of work goes DOWN, and that's a much bigger influence. So fitness does pay off.

But efficiency pays off even better. Every motion you make underwater, you pay for with some gas used. Therefore, the less motion, the longer your gas lasts. You can reduce motion by becoming horizontal, so that all your kicking effort succeeds in propelling you forward. If you are tilted at a 45 degree angle to the bottom, each time you kick, you drive yourself upward. To compensate, you have to keep your buoyancy negative, so you will have an equal tendency to sink. At that point, you are expending energy for a net displacement of zero! Very inefficient, and a very common new diver error.

Use your fins, not your hands. Hands are great for swimming on the surface, without fins, because your feet aren't very efficient propellers. But fins are, and that's what you should be using underwater. Flailing wildly with the hands uses a lot of muscle effort and produces very little net propulsion, so people who swim with their hands tend to suck gas.

Master your buoyancy. Although the volume of gas going into your BC or drysuit is relatively small, if you are putting it in and letting it out and putting it back in and letting it back out . . . after a half hour, your BC has breathed a lot of your gas. To master buoyancy, you have to start with proper weighting, because being significantly overweighted will make you unstable in the water column, and result in a lot of yo-yoing that wastes BC gas and ALSO makes you breathe harder. So reducing your weight to the proper amount will, in the long run, make your gas last longer.

And finally, move slower! One of the major strategies of sea life is camouflage, so if you move quickly, you miss many animals you might otherwise find. Unless you have a specific purpose for rapid movement, like spearfishing (and spearfishermen are NEVER going to win any awards for low SAC rates!) slow swimming will result in a much more productive and interesting dive.

Finally, recognize that body size and muscle mass will have a detectable effect on gas consumption. My favorite dive buddy is 6' tall and very strong. He's an absolutely beautiful diver -- quiet, relaxed, balanced and efficient in the water -- but he will never equal my SAC rate, because I'm a little old lady. If you habitually dive with people who are much smaller than you are, then buying bigger tanks may be your best answer.

You've already moved up to bigger tanks, so now it's time to work on technique, and reduce your gas consumption!

That is a lot of gas consumption IMO! I would suggest figuring out your RMV (if you do not know what this is then just ask and I will explain it for you) sitting on the couch relaxed and compare it to what you do in the the water to see if you currently just consume a lot or if it is just while you are diving. Then go from there.

If you use close to that just sitting on your couch then you might just be a "hover" or might start thinking about some aerobic exercise. If it is just when you are diving then we can go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom