Using Nitrox with an Air Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmd5700

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently got a Suunto Eon, which is air-integrated but only does air. No Nitrox. I am wondering if it is possible to use it with Nitrox, only as a depth/pressure monitor and plan my Nitrox dives with tables. I know all the other readouts will be wrong, but is there anything wrong with using it only to see how deep I am and how much air I have left?

Thank you,
Peter

I recently got a Suunto Eon, which is air-integrated but only does air. No Nitrox. I am wondering if it is possible to use it with Nitrox, only as a depth/pressure monitor and plan my Nitrox dives with tables. I know all the other readouts will be wrong, but is there anything wrong with using it only to see how deep I am and how much air I have left?

Thank you,
Peter

That's exactly how you can do it for most air only computers -- with one addendum, you should put your computer in Gauge mode which may / may not allow you access to the pressure monitor.

The reason you need to put it in Gauge mode is that otherwise you'll wind up in violation of deco and potentially go into "lock out" mode or violation. If this happens, you wind up with a computer that doesn't work until 24 hrs later (or at least most models do that kind of thing).

Alternatively, you can dive the Nitrox gas as if it air and get a wide margin of safety :wink: No extended bottom time though :(

Pulled up the manual from http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/EON.pdf

Manual says on pg 16 that the unit "must not be used for Nitrox"... ok that's a liability thing.

Manual says on pg 39 that the unit "goes into error mode" and becomes a depth and pressure gauge only. The question now is if you can put into gauge mode from the start.

I don't see a way to put the Eon into Gauge only mode with out "violating" first. :(

Bummer.

...be careful though......a Nitrox computer is tracking BOTH N2 and O2 exposure.....monitoring your oxygen exposure is critical...I know divers who dive 'conservatively' by diving Nitrox using 'air' computer /table settings, only focusing on their N2 exposure...and forgetting that diving that way substantially underestimates their O2 exposure...with potentially dangerous results!

Karl

Thank you,
Peter

Of course you can. And here is how.

1. Analyze your gas and note the FO2 and the MOD on a piece of tape on your computer face.

2. Don't exceed 1.4 atm po2 MOD that lets you have a LOT of "oxygen time"

3. Use the NDL from the dive computer. Your body will be seeing a lower nitrogen load than the computer is calculating and the result is a cleaner more conservative dive profile.

4. IF you use Table NDLs for the EAN mix you have then your dive computer will probably show you some decompression stops. Just do them. Again a more conservative profile.
=================

When doing multi day carib dives I will dive in this mode even with my sophisticated nitrox computers. It works well.

Cheers

When doing multi day carib dives I will dive in this mode even with my sophisticated nitrox computers. It works well.

Cheers

Hey Joel,

Just one question- I get the method, but why would you choose to track monitor your dives this way instead of using the Nitrox mode on your computer? What is the advantage?

Thanks,

Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom