Question Using strap wrench and torque wrench simultaneously?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm the kind of guy who wants to use a torque wrench to properly attach a valve at a specific torque value. How awkward would it be to use a strap wrench to secure the cylinder with one hand and then use the torque wrench with the other hand? Would I be much better off getting a chain vise?

I have limited space, so I can't attach a chain vice to a wall or workbench leg. I'd have to mount it horizontally on a piece of plywood or attach it to a telephone pole with ratchet straps.

Valves aren't that tight... hold out with your knees and maybe other arm then tighten it.

Tap the wrench with a mallet and hold the tank in between your knees. That is tight enough, half the shop monkeys probably just bash the handle with a mallet.

Tap the wrench with a mallet and hold the tank in between your knees. That is tight enough, half the shop monkeys probably just bash the handle with a mallet.
I don't know about shop monkeys and bashing, but I was shown the tap-to seat method by a pretty well-known and respected shop owner, and my instructor. When traveling with my pony, a good swat with the heel of my palm while holding the bottle between my legs seems to do the trick.

LOL, there is a specified torque for the valve. I seem to recall somewhere like 75 or 100 foot lbs? "Tap to seat" and "bash the handle" are really just semantics.

I honestly think it is better to use a wrench and maybe a mallet rather than barehanding the process. but if that is what a scuba instructor told you....

LOL, there is a specified torque for the valve. I seem to recall somewhere like 75 or 100 foot lbs? "Tap to seat" and "bash the handle" are really just semantics.

I honestly think it is better to use a wrench and maybe a mallet rather than barehanding the process. but if that is what a scuba instructor told you....
A friend's brother would narrate torque when we were wrenching with him using high-precision descriptive phrases like "motor-mount tight" :rofl3:

DGX: 50 foot-lbs.: Installing the Valve in the Cylinder | Dive Gear Express®
Catalina 40 pound-foot, 50 pound-foot MAX: High Pressure Aluminum Gas Cylinders | Composite Cylinders - Valving of SCUBA (Air) Cylinders Aluminum Cylinders | Composite Cylinders | Impact Extrusions

More germane to "tap-to seat", also from Catalina: High Pressure Aluminum Gas Cylinders | Composite Cylinders - Valving of SCUBA (Air) Cylinders Aluminum Cylinders | Composite Cylinders | Impact Extrusions
Hand tightening of the valve should seat the valve completely on the cylinder (i.e. no gap between the valve and the cylinder). If there is still a gap between the valve and the bottom of the cylinder lightly tap the valve handle with a rawhide or rubber mallet to seat the valve completely. The valve should only rotate 45o (1/8 of a turn) from the point of hand tightening to fully seated. If you decide to seat the valve using a torque wrench, following are recommended torque values by Catalina Cylinders and the CGA:

I use a crows-foot and torque wrench, using my thighs/knees to hold the cylinder steady. for smaller cylinders I have a chain vise that fits into a bench vise to steady things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom