Using two 40 inch hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally agree with Bob... It depends on what works for you for the type of diving you do. I dive a 5 foot long hose (don't need full 7 as not in caves) and a short bunged secondary around the neck. The only thing I will say is be careful of wearing the secondary around the neck on one of those pre made silicone holders. They don't hold the reg very well. I have tried several brands over the years. I had one go missing on me once. My backup regulator had slipped out of the silicone and floated behind my back and in low viz I had not noticed. When I dive low viz, since that day, I give one last check before hitting the really dark stuff by touching my backup reg under my chin. I changed to a bunged setup with double fisherman's knots and there is no way in hell its coming off.

Not my experience. Never lost a reg in 600 dives from a silicone necklace

Could largely depend on your diving style, zip tie shape and site conditions.

Besides for my near strangulation, I've stopped recommending them for harsh conditions as they are not a secure attachment compared to a bungee (surgical tubing ideal) with a double fisherman knot and a break away release at the back. Or a bolt snap.

This past week we had 3 silicone necklaces in the student gear options. 11 cases of them being deployed unintentionally out of 37 dives (~28hrs underwater). Granted, that's low viz, high flow with OW students needing adaptive diving techniques... but it does highlight the potential weak spot of the material choice depending the diver.

(...we give a mishmash of gear choices (besides being all we have) to allow the students the opportunity to think through equipment selection themselves.)

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom